Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
KelKnowles
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kelly Michael Knowles

Backup Copy Job File Merge

Post by KelKnowles »

I am a CloudConnect provider and have a customer that is sending a backup copy job to my infrastructure. Since the copy job is large and the bandwidth can be less than optimal, the interval for the job must span several days.

The issue I am seeing is that even after all VMs are copied over at the end of the job, the file merge does not seem to trigger until the job is restarted (the next interval). This leads to much wasted time at the end of the interval, and a delay to get the new VM data over after the new interval starts. Can I get verification that this is working as intended? If so I would like to request that the file merge happen at the end of the job instead of the beginning.

All servers are version 8.0.0.2084.

Thanks,

Kelly
Kelly Knowles
Principal Systems Architect at PNJ Technology Partners
Veeam Certified Architect and Veeam Certified Engineer - Advanced: Design & Optimization
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Copy Job File Merge

Post by veremin »

Hi, Kelly,

Are saying that merge takes place in the beginning of the interval and after a backup copy job creates a new restore point, exceeding the specified retention?

Thanks.
KelKnowles
Service Provider

Post by KelKnowles »

The merge happens before the data is sent. I am not concerned with it exceeding the retention so much as the wasted time after the restore point is created and the job sits idle. After the next time the job starts, it then merges the previous restore point.
Kelly Knowles
Veeam Certified Architect and Veeam Certified Engineer - Advanced: Design & Optimization
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The described behaviour looks unexpected, because retention (merge) in case of backup copy job should takes place in the following situations:

1) Immediately after all source VMs have been copied to target location.
2) After the interval has been finished, but only in cases when a backup copy job has been either idling or being busy, copying the data.

Neither of those applies to your case, so, kindly, reach our support team for further investigation.

Thanks.
KelKnowles
Service Provider

Post by KelKnowles »

I opened case 01161288 on this issue.
Kelly Knowles
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Got it. Keep us posted about the results of the investigation. Thanks.