Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Help - failover VCenter failing.

Post by readie »

I am trying to failover my replica of the VCentre server itself (which I presume helps Veeam B&R do all its work) and am getting
30/11/2015 14:46:11 Starting failover to restore point 30/11/2015 01:45:27. Original VM: Server61
30/11/2015 14:47:14 Error Failed to perform failover to replica Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 10.2.0.61:443
Is this because it is the VCentre server itself? Can Veeam communicate with the replica via the actual host it happens to be on, or is it trying to ask the production VCentre (which is now off) to help? I have powered down the production VCentre (after a disastrous attempt to upgrade 5.5 to 5.5 U3!)
Any ideas, as I am a bit lost without a VCentre at all.
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Help - failover VCenter failing.

Post by foggy »

Bob, to be able to failover vCenter Server via Veeam B&R, you need to replicate it pointing the corresponding job to a ESXi host directly. Otherwise vCenter Server failover can be performed manually, via vSphere Client. Thanks.
readie
Expert

Post by readie »

Thanks for the quick reply Foggy. Can you help how to failover manually via VSphere Client - do you just mean POWER ON? (I know this is not recommended, but is it now my only option?)
Bob Eadie
Veeam user since 2009.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct, in this case you can just power the vCenter replica VM on.
readie
Expert

Post by readie »

Thanks - done . . . but now I can't do a 'failover permanently' via the B&R console, so what steps do I now need to do to get backups and replicas of this VM working again.
I presume I start by deleting the junk VM, storage VMotion the replica back into production SAN . . . but will that totally confuse the next backup job, or will it just see a different VM ID and start again with a full backup (and replica, which I do from the backup).
Bob Eadie
Veeam user since 2009.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

After migrating the vCenter VM to production, you would need to add it to backup/replication jobs (don't forget to remove the old one), since technically it is a completely different VM. Backup job will then perform full VM backup during the next job run, as well as replication job.
readie
Expert

Post by readie »

Great - many thanks (and much quicker than me submitting a support request!).
Bob
Bob Eadie
Veeam user since 2009.