Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
withanh
Veteran
Liked: never
Full Name: Darhl

Multi-CPU usage

Post by withanh »

My backup server is a VM and is running 2008R2. I originally had it configured for 4 CPUs (3.0GHz Xeon E5450s) and 4GiB of Ram. I haven't been seeing the performance I've been expecting so I bumped it up to 8 CPUs and 8GiB of Ram to see if that would make a difference. When I look at my Performance monitor in VMware, it shows that I am only using 4 CPUs.

So is there a functional limit to the number of CPUs that Veeam uses? I know that in the job configuration it tells you when you put the compression to best it recommends an 8 CPU machine...

Space isn't entirely an issue for me, would I be better off backing the compression to Optimal instead of Best? Right now I'm more concerned that my backups are rolling into the next business day. I have one that starts at 7pm and is still running right now at 9:15am.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks!

d
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
lohelle
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Lars O Helle

Re: Multi-CPU usage

Post by lohelle »

Is the VM running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition? That edition is limited to 4 CPU's. The solution is to modify the VM so that Vmware is reporting 2 x 4-core CPU's and not 8 x 1-core CPU's.
Look here:
http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/06/04 ... plication/
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

Lars,

That must be it, it is 2008R2 Standard.

I'll check out your link about tricking VMware about CPU cores.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Darhl
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

Well, mixed success. It did work for me, however when I shut down the machine and made the setting change, VMware now tells me:

Virtual machine has 8 virtual CPUs, but the host only supports 4. The number of virtual CPUs may be limited by the guest OS selected for the virtual machine or by the licensing for the host.

Is this a licensing thing on VMware? If so, why did it let me put 8 single CPUs, but now that the cpuid.coresPerSocket is set to 2 it won't let me set the vCPUs to 8?

d
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

Did some research, found that this is a licensing thing in VMware, and mine says "Up to 4-way virtual SMP" Oh well, guess I'll wait to up the vCPU to 8 when we up our VMware licensing to Enterprise Plus later this year.

Thanks again Lars, that link is very helpful!

Darhl