Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sullivas
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Unable to remove protection from tape

Post by sullivas »

Yesterday I "pre-loaded" a tape in my rotation because I was not going to be around later when I normally load the tapes, but I wanted to prevent that tape from being written to until the prior tape in the rotation had been grabbed first (i.e., I wanted "Daily 1" to go before "Daily 2") so I hit the Protection button on the "Daily 2" tape. Now today I want to remove the protection from "Daily 2" so it can be written to and the option to do this is grayed out. I thought maybe I could force the protection removal with PowerShell but I'm getting this error:

Code: Select all

Disable-VBRTapeProtection : Failed to unprotect a tape medium KXJ779L4. Medium
is free
At line:1 char:63
+ Get-VBRTapeMedium -Name "KXJ779L4" | Disable-VBRTapeProtection <<<<
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Disable-VBRTapeProtection
   ], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DisableTapeProtectionErrorId,Veeam.Backup.PowerS
   hell.Cmdlets.DisableVBRTapeProtection
The only options available are Inventory, Catalog, and Properties. What am I missing that will let me remove the protection from this tape?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Unable to remove protection from tape

Post by veremin »

Can you tell us how you've enabled protection on a free medium? I'm wondering because neither GUI nor PowerShell allows you to do so.
sullivas
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by sullivas »

Protection was enabled through the GUI, I can tell you that as I rarely use PowerShell. I do not recall if the tape was marked as free before or after I applied the protection, however. Is it possible I did something out of order in applying the protection? Any way to get mark it as unprotected without contacting support for a database edit?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

sullivas,
Please open a support case – it seems something weird is happening with this protected tape. Don’t forget to post the case ID to this thread so we could track your issue. Thanks in advance.
fraack
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Florian Raack

Post by fraack »

I had the same issue. All Options for my protected tape were greyed out. I tried it with the following PS script:

Code: Select all

get-vbrtapemedium -name 000104L5| Disable-VBRTapeProtection
That works for me.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If the issue is reproducible, may I ask you to open a ticket with our support team and let them analyze that directly? Thanks.