Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
JCauthen
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joshua Cauthen

Had to stop job, now what?

Post by JCauthen »

When stopping a job I get the warning "Backup's files for this job will be left in the inconsistent state. One or more VMs will have incomplete, unusable restore points. Stop the job anyway?"

I'm fine with losing the backups that didn't complete but I don't want to jeopardize the restore chain any more than I need to. What is the best way to maintain integrity?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Had to stop job, now what?

Post by foggy »

You should be fine with stopping the job, previous restore points will not be compromised. The next job run should clean up inconsistent restore point and start creating new one.
JCauthen
Novice
Full Name: Joshua Cauthen

Post by JCauthen »

Oh super. Thanks.
blaked36
Lurker
Full Name: Blake Dollens

Post by blaked36 »

foggy wrote:You should be fine with stopping the job, previous restore points will not be compromised. The next job run should clean up inconsistent restore point and start creating new one.
Does that include continuing the prior backup chain? One issue I've had is that I'd like to continue a prior backup chain after canceling an active full backup. For instance, let's say the last active full backup (.vbk file) is from December 1, and I have 15 .vib files made since that December 1 .vbk. If a new active full job started last night and I had to cancel it for some reason, could I run an incremental that continues the chain from the December 1 .vbk? In the past it seems like it only wanted to do an active full at that point, even if I didn't choose that.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Blake, in case you've initiated and then stopped active full, the next job run will clean up inconsistent restore point and attempt an active full run again.
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: Marc K

Post by mkaec »

foggy wrote:You should be fine with stopping the job, previous restore points will not be compromised. The next job run should clean up inconsistent restore point and start creating new one.
That's good to know. The dialog text made me think I'd be losing the whole chain.
blaked36
Lurker
Full Name: Blake Dollens

Post by blaked36 »

foggy wrote:Blake, in case you've initiated and then stopped active full, the next job run will clean up inconsistent restore point and attempt an active full run again.
Okay, that's consistent with what I've seen. As long as I know what to expect, that's fine. I guess I could call it a "feature request," though: the ability to stop an active full backup and continue on from the prior chain's active full and .vib files. Thanks for clarifying.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
I guess I could call it a "feature request," though: the ability to stop an active full backup and continue on from the prior chain's active full and .vib files. Thanks for clarifying.
Then you might be interested in such feature as "stop job gracefully" which is available in v9. When active full is stopped gracefully the next job run will continue making active fulls for those VMs that have not been processed during previous run, and place them into single .vib file alongside with incrementals for VM that have been processed. With per-VM backup chains graceful stop will do even smarter thing - each VM-chain will be continued with incrementals from the last succesfull restore point.