Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
millardjk
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Jim Millard

Auto-dismount NFS?

Post by millardjk »

In the latest forum digest from Gostev, he mentions the reoccurring requests to automatically dismount the NFS share created by vPowerNFS. I appreciate both Anton's point of view (keep the share active because it makes things just that much faster the next time) and every requestor's desire to "clean up" the environment. Aside from the inevitable alerts created when the vPowerNFS service disappears because the Veeam server is rebooted, just "keeping it clean" also makes sense from the user's point of view.

So enough quibbling: some people want it to auto-dismount; some people want it persistent.

Is there some reason it can't be a selectable option when configuring a Lab, SecureBackup test or Instant Recovery?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Auto-dismount NFS?

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

I kind of touched the reason in the digest as well. People like to select selectable options just because they sound good, so adding this one will result in increasing Severity 1 support cases dramatically when Instant VM Recovery fails for our less experienced users, who is the majority. Right now, once the product is deployed for them - often by a consultant - and Instant VM Recovery has been tested, it is basically guaranteed to work when they need it the most, because the NFS datastore is already mounted. And, as mentioned, having it already mounted cuts mount times significantly. Adding this option kills both of these benefits, replacing them with questionable "keeping it clean" one (value of which is hard to measure, unlike the value of lower recovery time and reliability aka "it just works").

I appreciate that some users may find the lack of this option irritating, but those who actually care about their datastores view are typically advanced enough not to mind using scripts to obtain the desired behavior from any software product, and the whole purpose of my post was to share said script.

I do plan to add a registry key for this down the road - but then again, there are a few dozens of MUCH more commonly requested behavior modifiers sitting in a pipeline and waiting to be implemented first, so it will take some time.