Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
markwo
Novice
Liked: never

Developing tape backup strategy

Post by markwo »

I've been using Veeam to backup to disk for years and am familiar with its configuration.

I'm new to using tape backup though and I'm trying to figure out how to best make use of offloading the Veeam disk backups to tape for longer term retention.

Anybody have any recommended reading on how to develop a strategy for using tape? I read the Veeam manual and saw that it explains how the tape functionality works on a technical level, but unless I missed it, there wasn't really anything on how to best lay out a plan for making efficient use of tape.

For many people, it's probably "whatever your company policy dictates," but I need to develop that policy.

My current backup set consumes 3TB with 60 restore points' worth of retention. I'm using 2.5TB LTO6 tapes.

Also, how do I add a tape drive to the unofficial compatibility list? I can confirm that the HP Ultrium 6250 LTO-6 drive works with Veeam (#EH969A).
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Developing tape backup strategy

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,

I`ve updated the unofficial compatibility list, thanks for the input!

Despite you have no policy "from the top", I would start from your needs.
What and how often would you like to copy to tapes? For how long? etc.

As for general recommendations, there is no recommendations paper to read so far besides the user guide. But I would search forums for tape best practices for more info. You can also just ask us here.

Btw, you might be interested in new tape features in upcoming v9 release.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

I do remember that we had a best practices guide but it was related to the previous version of the product. In terms of settings please use the latest v8 Help Center
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

We've recently released VB&R v8 Best Practices document. Might be useful for you, since the tape portion is also covered there. Thanks.