Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
digitlman
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Restore Wizard Fix bad entries

Post by digitlman »

Hello,

I started to use the program before I understood how to limit the backups to only one VBK copy of any one VM I was backing up. I was manually deleting the VBK files and keeping only one instance. However, now when I go into the Restore Wizard, I have "ghost" entries and some VMs that give an error "this row has been removed from the table and does not have any data". How do I go about cleaning up my mess? :?:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Restore Wizard Fix bad entries

Post by Gostev »

Hello, I am afraid it is not possible to clean up this without editing the configuration database. You should not delete backup files manually, instead you should change the retention policy in the Advanced job settings to lower setting. This way, the product will handle restore points automatically, without producing ghost entries.

To clean up the current situation, I recommend that you delete existing job, and create new one.
digitlman
Enthusiast

Post by digitlman »

Should I delete and re-create all my jobs?

Uninstall and re-install the whole program?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Just delete and re-create the jobs in which you were manually deleting backp files. Alternatively, try to change the retention policy for the existing jobs - I believe they should clean up themselves during the next run. Worth trying before re-creating jobs.
digitlman
Enthusiast

Post by digitlman »

Gostev wrote:Just delete and re-create the jobs in which you were manually deleting backp files. Alternatively, try to change the retention policy for the existing jobs - I believe they should clean up themselves during the next run. Worth trying before re-creating jobs.
I'm changing that now.

Why on earth does it default to 14? Can't we just start at one? :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Most customers choose to keep at least 2 weeks of restore points (which is 14 days), and many keep even 4 weeks.
digitlman
Enthusiast

Post by digitlman »

I can see how with CBT that means that each snap doesn't take much space on the storage device.

Is that still broken in ESX 4? Or did they fix it?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Our product stores deltas (changes) only, whether or not you leverage CBT... CBT only allows us to determine those changes faster.

VMware announced that they will fix the CBT issue in vSphere 4.1, but we long have a workaround for this issue available anyway. In all cases, the whole issue is very unlikely to run into on production systems, because it involves reverting snapshots and specific sequence of actions. That is, if we are talking about the same thing here.