Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bensaida
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Said Ben Saida

Backup Copy fails

Post by bensaida »

my backup copy jobs works when the job is set to direct but fails when I use wan accelerators.
It tells me: "source wan accelerator error. End of file".
I tried 3 different wan accelerators with the same error.
I noticed when trying to populate the cache on the source wan accelerator failed all the time.
Not sure if it is related.
Did anyone had an issue like this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy fails

Post by foggy »

Said, you do not need to populate source WAN cache. Please contact technical support with the first error message you're seeing.
bensaida
Influencer

Post by bensaida »

I have a ticket open since November with no luck yet. I thought i would reach out to the community.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

What is the case ID number?
bensaida
Influencer

Post by bensaida »

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I can see that your case has been escalated and you've just uploaded the new portion of logs for review by our engineer. Please continue working with him.
bensaida
Influencer

Post by bensaida »

Thanks. We will see.
pultribe
Lurker
Full Name: Gabi

Post by pultribe »

Same error here. Any update?
Veeam 8.0.0.2084
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do not see any resolution to the case ID referenced above, so please contact our technical team for further troubleshooting. Once you do this, please post your case ID. Thanks!
mikeschultzca
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Michael Schultz

Post by mikeschultzca » 1 person likes this post

I have the same issue at two of my client and have yet to figure it out. I have it working in a similar fashion in my LAB but not for these two clients. I opened a case a long time ago and they said it was my firewall blocking communication but I have since build the environment all on the same network to rule out routing and firewalls, and get the same error. I even built a whole new Veeam server environment to test with but it has the same error again. to see if something changes in Veeam9 I upgraded and I get a different error. In Veeam 9 I get "Error: Source WAN Accelerator error: Reconnectable protocol device was closed."

I will be opening another ticket soon, but I thought I would post here to see if anyone has more information.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Michael, reviewing the log files will be the most effective way of troubleshooting this issue, so please open the case with technical support. Thanks.
mikeschultzca
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Michael Schultz

Post by mikeschultzca » 2 people like this post

After reviewing the log files and confirming that Veeam's WAN acceleration services was getting disconnected from each other I revisited my Lab. My Lab was mistakenly setup to cross to subnets with a Firewall (Sonicwall) between them. After removing the Sonicwall from the mix in my LAB the copy job worked just fine, so I vindicated my Veeam setup.

I then ran packet captures on the Sonicwalls involved to figure out what was happing with that communication. I found that Sonicwall was indeed dropping parts of the communications between the WAN accelerators and involved Sonicwall support to find out why. As the normal logs did not indicate any drops I needed Sonicwall support to lookup the drop codes in the packet captures. We found that it was the gateway anti virus on the firewall that was causing the problem and I needed to exclude my WAN accelerator addresses in order for it to work. We could not find what rule in the Gateway AV that was causing the problem so we needed to exclude the whole IP addresses. I have another client with the same error that sits behind Watchguards I will use a similar tactic to figure out their problem. This fixed Veeam 9 and Veeam 8 WAN Acceleration in my tests.
brownbeargrrr
Lurker
Full Name: Ask me

Post by brownbeargrrr »

Hi Mike,

I have the exact same issue and also have a SonicWALL firewall. My backup copy works fine in direct mode but using the Wan accelerators I get the "Error: Target WAN accelerator error: Reconnectable protocol device was closed2 in version 9.5 update 2.

Did you just create an address object for each Server that had a wan accelerator and then add it in the Gateway anti virus exception list?

I'm getting no where with everything I have tried and this seems to be the solution but it's not working for me so i'm back in direct mode as I need a successful off-site backup.

Thanks in advance