Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Reduce "Backups to Retain" Number Without Deleting All

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

As the data files get larger over time we find ourselves running out of space on the external backup drives and are forced to reduce the number of "backups to retain" days.

Originally we set it to 30 days, which is great, as we would ideally like to roll back up to a month, but because of ongoing space issues as of late we have had to reduce them to 14, or two weeks worth.

My question is, is it possible to reduce the number of days without having to manually delete everything already on the external hard drive and start a full backup, losing ALL the previous backup data?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Reduce "Backups to Retain" Number Without Deleting All

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,

Yes, its possible - changing the retention will force next run to merge the retired restore points into full leaving only the desired number of backups. You can also change the backup location or move the existing backup files in order to keep them and start a new backup chain.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 1 person likes this post

You're right Dima, it does work now! Sorry! It didn't work for me ~6 months ago and I had another customer come in with Endpoint installed today who had run out of disk space and I assumed it hadn't been fixed without testing it first, just read through the forum. I have just tested it and I can confirm it does work now :)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for the heads up and I am glad to hear you are up and running :D
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

I have just had a similar problem occur regarding consolidation of backups. The external hard drive was reconnected after a couple of weeks of being disconnected. The current setting is "Keep restore points for the last 30 days" but it has kept 3 months worth. When VEEAM Endpoint Backup tried to complete a backup it failed because there was no more space left.

I have manually deleted the November files to free up disk space but I am still left with December and January's backups even though it is now February!

Any idea how to consolidate these backups automatically? I really don't like having to keep manually cleaning off the files off the hard drive.

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Alex,

Can you please open a support case thru the VEB Control Panel > Support > Technical Support. The described behavior does not look like expected so we need to check your logs, so do not forget to post case ID to this thread. Thanks.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Done! Thank you once again for your prompt reply :)

Veeam Support - Case # 01702106 - Older Backups Not Consolidating
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Opening the chain metadata file showed that the older full backup and incrementals were not part of the chain. No idea why this happened but I have deleted the unattached files and everything is working as it should now :)

I have also since noted that if the free space is reduced to a certain point the full backup cannot consolidate and the whole drive has to be deleted :(
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Glad the issue is resolved.
free space is reduced to a certain point the full backup cannot consolidate
Unfortunately, thats true. Merge takes place after the new restore point is created, thus you should keep at least 10% of your backup repository free. That is the reason we have a built-in free space notification in backup job.