Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cell
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Restore of SQL-servers with transactionlogs backup enabled

Post by cell »

Hi, i wonder if there's a way around the following problem.

Say that i have a 1TB SQL-server which contains a 950GB sql-database which i backup using Backup logs periodically 15 minutes and a full backup of the vm once a day.
If i need to do a full vm recovery i first have to restore the whole vm 1TB and after that i have to restore 950GB + transactionlogs again to get to the most recent state of the vm? it practically means that i have to restore the vm twice.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restore of SQL-servers with transactionlogs backup enabl

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

If you need to do a full VM recovery, then you can select the "closest" restore point to the required date and restore the VM image. As to the logs, then you will need to restore logs to get the most recent state of your database.
cell wrote: after that i have to restore 950GB + transactionlogs again to get to the most recent state of the vm?
Not sure I'm following you here. If you restore a VM image, then it would already contain the database you want to restore, right?

Thanks!
cell
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by cell »

Say that vm would break down at 17:00 and my last full backup is from 01:00 but addition to that i also doing transactionlogs backup every 15 minutes. then i have to first restore the vm from 01:00 and then apply the transactionlogs to 16:45, but to be able to apply the logs to the database it need to be in restore-mode.
i supposed that veeam would extract the mdf file from the full vm backup and send it together with transactionlogs to recreate the database but maybe that not how its done?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Yes, you have correctly described the process of restoring the database to its latest valid state, the database will be restored twice (during full VM image restore and during transaction logs replay).

Currently there is no workaround for this, but thanks for the feedback.