Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bunger
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Bill Unger

Backup virtualized vCenter

Post by bunger »

I am trying to configure Veeam to backup my virtualized vCenter server and am having issues. A little background:

- 2 ESX servers ( esx1 is production, esx2 is backup )
- vCenter server is hosted on esx1
- Veeam backup server software is installed on vCenter server

I have read the suggestions that vCenter must be in its own backup job referencing the IP of the esx host ( vs. through the managed vCenter server ), which I have done, but still encounter the errors below.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

--------------------------
Backing up file "[Storage11] vCenter/vCenter-flat.vmdk"
BackupDisk failed
Client error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[Storage11] vCenter/vCenter.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] )
Failed to open VMDK.
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [192.168.x.yyy];Port: 902;Login: [root];VMX Spec: [moref=32];Snapshot mor: [32-snapshot-32];Transports: [nbd]] failed because of the following errors:

Server error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[Storage11] vCenter/vCenter.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] )
Failed to open VMDK.
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [192.168.x.yyy];Port: 902;Login: [root];VMX Spec: [moref=32];Snapshot mor: [32-snapshot-32];Transports: [nbd]] failed because of the following errors:
Failed to process VM disk backup. VMDK path: [vddk://<vddkConnSpec><viConn name="192.168.x.yyy" authdPort="902" vicPort="443" /><vmxPath vmRef="32" datacenterRef="ha-datacenter" datacenterInventoryPath="ha-datacenter" snapshotRef="32-snapshot-32" datastoreName="Storage11" path="vCenter/vCenter.vmx" /><vmdkPath datastoreName="Storage11" path="vCenter/vCenter.vmdk" /><transports seq="nbd" /><readBuffer size="2097152" /></vddkConnSpec>].
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup virtualized vCenter

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Bill,

It would be best if you open a support case to troubleshoot this. We do not provide support on technical issues via forum, as explained when you click New Topic. Most issues require full logs to troubleshoot, not just error's summary. Thanks!