Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ajh
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: A J H

Case # 00737598 Backups Failing.. DataTransfer.SyncDisk

Post by ajh »

Hi Guys, Getting this error on my backup jobs. I've varied my backup proxies from dedicated physical servers, to virtual servers. I've varied my backup targets between the NAS and USB storage. I've pointed redirected my targets from vcenter to directly from the hosts. I've checked for any connected disks that may have been left over from previous jobs (none there). I'm not sure where to go from here.

Code: Select all

1/02/2015 12:02:17 PM :: Error: Application is shutting down. Failed to download disk. An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
Has anyone seen it and had any luck getting rid of it?

Case # 00737598 - Logs HAVE been Uploaded... not sure why you deleted the previous post.. but please check again moderators..
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Case # 00737598 Backups Failing.. DataTransfer.SyncDisk

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It seems like there is an existing topic with a similar issue > VM stuck at "Getting VM info from vSphere". Can you check if you have the same symptoms?
ajh
Novice

Post by ajh »

Yeah I don't think so. My jobs fail about 30gb through reading the HDD.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, then further logs review will be required here, please keep working with your support engineer.
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

[MERGED] Application is shutting down. Unable to retrieve

Post by albertwt »

Veeam Support - Case # 00736571

People,

Can anyone here please assist me in what is happening with my large VM backup which is suddenly reporting this error:
Error: Application is shutting down. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
Exception from server: Application is shutting down.
Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [34986]. Failed to download disk.
This is happening on the Exchange Server mailbox role with ~ 8 TB of data in total spread across 8 VMDK and also on my large SQL Server VM. There is open snapshot in the VMFS datastore.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Albert,

In the OP's ticket number our engineer suspects that there could be some issues (due to the heavy load) with a SQL Server hosting our database. BTW, is it the only VM that fails with this error?

Thanks!
ajh
Novice

Post by ajh »

Hi Albertwt, have you tried feeding your backup environment more resources since upgrading? v8 is very, very hungry. We've moved our SQL database back to a sqlexpress instance on the backup server and given it more RAM and CPU cores and had a little bit of success... We're not out of the woodwork yet though with a few still failing.
PA1FOX
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Alex Buurlage

Post by PA1FOX » 2 people like this post

Don't know if this issue is still present with the OP, but I ran into the same issue last week. I have done some extensive testing and it seems that it's caused by installing SQL Server 2012 Service Pack2 (KB2958429) on the B&R server. Backups would run for about 20GB and then run into the error mentioned above.

I have de-installed this service pack and all seems to be running OK again.

Alex
ajh
Novice

Post by ajh »

Thanks for the reply. We were SQL 2008 R2, but Im sure your update will help someone out there.

Since pulling our system right back on concurrent jobs per proxy and repositories, and upgrading the dedicated resources to each proxy and backup server we've had pretty smooth sailing.
EddyChong
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eddy Chong

Post by EddyChong »

Hi Alex,

Did you still get he same error after you uninstalled the SP2? I have a client ran into same issue randomly, affecting 1 VM out of 12 VMs in the same job. First backup failed and succeed upon retry. Most of the time the backup completed successfully.

The Veeam server has Microsoft SQL Express 2012 SP2.

Thank you
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed »

Got this one today on a large restore that's been running a couple days. Bombed out after about 50 1/2 hours. Opening a support case...

"Application is shutting down. Unable to retrieve next block transmission command."
"Restore job failed. Application is shutting down. Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Exception from server: Operation is terminated."
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)