Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Willy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: william png

Best Practise for Linux VM Backup/Restore

Post by Willy »

Hi;

My company recently bought the Veeam Backup/Replication 4.1.1. The backup of the Windows VMs were good running "Virtual Appliance" mode from an NFS shared storage we were getting about 60MB/s backup speed.

We also have some RHEL 4 VMs that we wished to have backup/replicated. May I know what are the best means of performing a backup/replicate of an RHEL4 VMs sitting on NFS shared storage. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Currently, I am running the RHEL4 VMs via "Network" mode and am getting about 30MB/s. I have also tried running it in "Virtual Appliance" mode, back it failed, maybe I did not do something correctly.

Apology if this was already covered in any manual. Please direct me to them if possible.

Thanks

Willy
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Best Practise for Linux VM Backup/Restore

Post by Gostev »

Hello Willy, the Virtual Appliance mode should give you better results with NFS storage. I recommend that you open a support case with us to troubleshoot why it is not working for you. Please provide full logs with the Virtual Appliance mode failure captured. Thanks!
Willy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: william png

Post by Willy »

Hi Gostev;

Thanks for your response.

The Veeam backup "Virtual Appliance" mode was failing with HOTADD issues. However, while testing the Veeam backup "Network" mode, my 300+ GB Linux VMs failed when backing up to a datastore. The message was "file size too large" appearing at about 255GB backup. I did some checking and found that the datastore was configured with block size of 1MB, which limits the maximum file size to 256GB.

I reformatted the datastore with a block size of 2MB. The Veeam backup "Network" mode when through successfully. :D at 30MB/s

Then I retested the "Virtual Appliance" mode and it also when through :lol: at 60MB/s

My problem is fixed. :mrgreen:

Willy
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Great to hear! And thanks for taking time to share the resolution.