Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
mbietz
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Disk Space Analysis Monitor in percent

Post by mbietz »

Hello,

is it possible to have the monitor "Veeam VMware: Virtual Machine Disk Space Analysis" for percent values?

Thank you
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: Disk Space Analysis Monitor in percent

Post by Alec King »

Hi,

Actually you can add the metric freePct for VM guest disks - it is in the (optional) High-Granularity MP, part of the Veeam MP Resource Kit. However there is no alerting monitor for that metric. But you can collect it and view performance charts etc.

Customers told us they preferred to monitor disks in an absolute (MB) value. This is because, for example, 10% of a 10GB drive is only 1GB, but 10% of a 2TB drive is 200GB. It probably doesn't make sense to alert on 10% for both drives...an alert when there is 200GB space left is probably not actionable. So an absolute value seemed more useful.
Of course you can still use overrides for VMs or groups of VMs to exclude certain disks (by drive letter) and to customize the MB threshold.

If you really have a strong use case for a percent threshold, let us know, we'll be glad to take the feedback towards our next version of MP. Thanks!
mbietz
Influencer

Post by mbietz »

I will look into the freePCT for vm guest in the HG-MP.
Is it possible to query that via WMI?
So I can create my own monitor.

Thanks
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

Hi, I think maybe we created such a custom monitor for another customer previously - we are checking that, will let you know soon!
Cheers
Alec
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Post by sergey.g »

Hi,

Here, you can download the monitor which works same way but using Percentage metric. It has been designed for v7, but should work with v8 too.

https://sites.google.com/site/sgonchare ... reePct.zip

Let me know if you have any questions regarding this monitor.
mbietz
Influencer

Post by mbietz »

Thank you,

I will do tests on it.
dieterbocklandt
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dieter Bocklandt

Post by dieterbocklandt »

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for the management pack! It works well, however we have Linux appliances, in which case it doesn't show the mount point that has exceeded the threshold. The alert message just ends with "The disk partitions breaching threshold are:
Drive Name - Free space %". I've tried to implement this monitor myself, but because I'm targetting a general target (Veeam.Virt.Extensions.VMware.VMGUEST), I'm getting the unwanted effect that if one partition is under the threshold and another one is over the threshold, the state changes keep rolling in. Normally this would be solved by targetting the logical disk class, but I don't think there is such a class.

So any idea on how to fix the original mgmt pack, or preffered, how I can fix my code below so it triggers 1 alert per partition/mount point?

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><ManagementPack ContentReadable="true" SchemaVersion="2.0" OriginalSchemaVersion="1.1" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
  <Manifest>
    <Identity>
      <ID>Nubes.Veeam.VMWare.FreeSpacePercentageMonitor</ID>
      <Version>1.0.0.0</Version>
    </Identity>
    <Name>Free disk space Monitor</Name>
    <References>
      <Reference Alias="MicrosoftWindowsLibrary7585010">
        <ID>Microsoft.Windows.Library</ID>
        <Version>7.0.0.0</Version>
        <PublicKeyToken>31bf3856ad364e35</PublicKeyToken>
      </Reference>
      <Reference Alias="Virt1">
        <ID>Veeam.Virt.Extensions.VMware.Monitoring</ID>
        <PublicKeyToken>65c40f14a98ce59b</PublicKeyToken>
      </Reference>
      <Reference Alias="VeeamVEVMwareLib">
        <ID>Veeam.Virt.Extensions.VMware.Library</ID>
        <PublicKeyToken>65c40f14a98ce59b</PublicKeyToken>
      </Reference>
      <Reference Alias="System">
        <ID>System.Library</ID>
        <Version>6.0.6278.0</Version>
      </Reference>
      <Reference Alias="SystemHealth">
        <ID>System.Health.Library</ID>
      </Reference>
    </References>
  </Manifest>
  <Monitoring>
     <Monitors>
     <UnitMonitor ID="Veeam.Virt.Extensions.VMware.VMGuest.Monitor.FreeSpacePercentage" Accessibility="Public" Enabled="onEssentialMonitoring" Target="VeeamVEVMwareLib!Veeam.Virt.Extensions.VMware.VMGUEST" ParentMonitorID="SystemHealth!System.Health.PerformanceState" Remotable="true" Priority="Normal" TypeID="Virt1!Veeam.Virt.Extensions.VMware.CommonPerformance.3StateThresholdMonitorType" ConfirmDelivery="true">
        <Category>PerformanceHealth</Category>
        <AlertSettings AlertMessage="Veeam.Virt.Extensions.VMware.VMGuest.Monitor.FreeSpacePercentage_AlertMessageResourceID">
          <AlertOnState>Warning</AlertOnState>
          <AutoResolve>true</AutoResolve>
          <AlertPriority>Normal</AlertPriority>
          <AlertSeverity>MatchMonitorHealth</AlertSeverity>
          <AlertParameters>
            <AlertParameter1>$Target/Property[Type="System!System.Entity"]/DisplayName$</AlertParameter1>
            <AlertParameter2>$Data/Context/Value$</AlertParameter2>
<AlertParameter3>$Data/Property[@Name='diskPath']</AlertParameter3>
          </AlertParameters>
        </AlertSettings>
        <OperationalStates>
          <OperationalState ID="OverThreshold2" MonitorTypeStateID="OverThreshold2" HealthState="Success" />
          <OperationalState ID="OverThreshold1UnderThreshold2" MonitorTypeStateID="OverThreshold1UnderThreshold2" HealthState="Warning" />
          <OperationalState ID="UnderThreshold1" MonitorTypeStateID="UnderThreshold1" HealthState="Error" />
        </OperationalStates>
        <Configuration>
          <ObjectName>VMGuest-disk</ObjectName>
          <CounterName>freePct</CounterName>
          <InstanceName>Free Space Percent</InstanceName>
          <Value>$Data/Property[@Name='freePct']$</Value>
          <Threshold1>5</Threshold1>
          <Threshold2>10</Threshold2>
          <FilterExpression>
            <SimpleExpression>
              <ValueExpression>
                <XPathQuery Type="String">Property[@Name='VmUniqueId']</XPathQuery>
              </ValueExpression>
              <Operator>Equal</Operator>
              <ValueExpression>
                <Value Type="String">$Target/Property[Type="VeeamVEVMwareLib!Veeam.Virt.Extensions.VMware.VMGUEST"]/id$</Value>
              </ValueExpression>
            </SimpleExpression>
          </FilterExpression>
          <ClassName>VMDiskProperties</ClassName>
          <NumSamples>1</NumSamples>
        </Configuration>
      </UnitMonitor>

</Monitors>
  </Monitoring>
  <Presentation>
    <StringResources>
      <StringResource ID="Veeam.Virt.Extensions.VMware.VMGuest.Monitor.FreeSpacePercentage_AlertMessageResourceID" />
    </StringResources>
  </Presentation>
  <LanguagePacks>
    <LanguagePack ID="ENU" IsDefault="false">
      <DisplayStrings>
        <DisplayString ElementID="Nubes.Veeam.VMWare.FreeSpacePercentageMonitor">
          <Name>Veeam VMware Virtual Machine Free Space Percentage Monitor - DBLN</Name>
        </DisplayString>
        <DisplayString ElementID="Veeam.Virt.Extensions.VMware.VMGuest.Monitor.FreeSpacePercentage">
          <Name>Veeam VMware: Virtual Machine Free Space Percentage</Name>
          <Description />
        </DisplayString>
<DisplayString ElementID="Veeam.Virt.Extensions.VMware.VMGuest.Monitor.FreeSpacePercentage" SubElementID="OverThreshold1UnderThreshold2">
          <Name>Over Threshold 1 Under Threshold 2</Name>
        </DisplayString>
        <DisplayString ElementID="Veeam.Virt.Extensions.VMware.VMGuest.Monitor.FreeSpacePercentage" SubElementID="OverThreshold2">
          <Name>Over Threshold 2</Name>
        </DisplayString>
        <DisplayString ElementID="Veeam.Virt.Extensions.VMware.VMGuest.Monitor.FreeSpacePercentage" SubElementID="UnderThreshold1">
          <Name>Under Threshold 1</Name>
        </DisplayString>
        <DisplayString ElementID="Veeam.Virt.Extensions.VMware.VMGuest.Monitor.FreeSpacePercentage_AlertMessageResourceID">
          <Name>Veeam VMware: Virtual Machine Free Space Percentage</Name>
          <Description>
            <![CDATA[The virtual machine {0} is running low on free disk space on {2}. There is currently {1}% left.
Consider cleaning up some files or extend this partition.]]>
          </Description>
        </DisplayString>
      </DisplayStrings>
    </LanguagePack>
  </LanguagePacks>
</ManagementPack>
Thanks!
Dieter
sergey.g
Veteran

Post by sergey.g »

Hi,

Sorry for a long delay in my response.

So, I beleive that this monitor should work correctly for Linux VMs too, there is an issue somewhere. Could you check state change details in the Health Explorer? There should be information delivered from monitor to the Alert text, when the monitor switches from green to unhealthy. Also is it possible to get the list of the affected disk for the VM with unhealthy monitor? You can do that with the following PS command on the Collector:

gwmi -namespace "root\nworks" -class vmdiskproperties | ? {$_.vmname -like "uu"} | select diskPath, freePct, DiskFreePctNames, DiskFreePct
Change "uu" to the name of the affected VM
dieterbocklandt
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dieter Bocklandt

Post by dieterbocklandt » 1 person likes this post

Hi Sergey,

The monitor actually works, as the alert is only triggered when the free disk space percentage reaches a certain threshold. The problem is that the nor diskPath, nor the freePct is in the alert description. Querying those values using WMI works just fine:

PS C:\Users\admin.dbln> gwmi -namespace "root\nworks" -class vmdiskproperties | ? {$_.vmname.StartsWith("VLNRAG")} | select diskPath, freePct, DiskFreePctNames, DiskFreePct

diskPath                                            freePct DiskFreePctNames              DiskFreePct
--------                                            ------- ----------------              -----------
/                                                      1,98 /,/flash,/var,                1.98,91.73,98.3,
/flash                                                91,73 /,/flash,/var,                1.98,91.73,98.3,
/var                                                   98,3 /,/flash,/var,                1.98,91.73,98.3,

Thanks for taking a look!

Regards,
Dieter
sergey.g
Veteran

Post by sergey.g »

Hi Dieter,

We've found a minor issue - this situation could occur if you have an override for this monitor which replaces default ExcludeDisks paramter (A:\\|B:\\|/boot|C:\\VeeamFLR\\.*) with blank line, could you doublecheck that you don't have such an override?

If you still have something in the ExcludeDisks parameter - I would really like to setup a webex session and check what's going on in your environment. We've double-checked on our side that different decimal separators are not affecting the monitor, so this has to be something exotic.

Could you open a support case and send me the case ID via DM?

Thanks.