Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bushtor
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tor

Warning about VMs no longer processed...

Post by bushtor »

Hi,

We use VMWare 6 latest update and Veeam 8 latest update.

I some of my replication jobs I get a few lines like the below in the beginning of each job log:

"[VM name] is no longer processed by this job. Make sure this change is intentional."

I cannot remember to have seen this in Veeam 7. The VM names mentioned in the above log entries do no longer exist, not in vsphere inventory nor on disk.

How can I get rid of this stale records..?

best regards

Tor
ACC
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: ACC

Re: Warning about VMs no longer processed...

Post by ACC »

Veeam 7 also reports those kind of notifications and in the past i had the same issue.

If i recall correctly there are two settings that apply on this notification. Under advanced settings of the copy job there is the VM retention setting, which should be enabled. However i my case VMs past this retention period where still present in the full backup file and kept notifying about the deleted VMs. The solution was to configure a compact full backup file (also under advanced settings), this will rebuild the full backup but will not copy any deleted VMs which are past the retention settings. This rebuild however requires temporarily additional storage, i recommend to keep the full backup file size as absolute minimum free space.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Tor, I suppose you're talking about backup copy, not replication jobs, right? You will get those warnings according to the deleted VMs retention setting in advanced job settings. As far as I remember, the behavior didn't change between v7 and v8.
Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Alan ORiordan

Post by Alan_ORiordan »

I have removed two VM's intentionally from a replication job, yet I receive these messages. Is there a way to remove the messages from the job report after every run?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Alan, the messages will be reported for the amount of days specified in the deleted VMs retention setting and then will be automatically switched off.
Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast

Post by Alan_ORiordan »

They haven't been deleted from the host just yet only removed from the veeam job. They were removed from the job a month ago (20/11/15)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

And what is the current setting for deleted VMs retention (btw, it implies any reason why the job cannot process the VM anymore - either VMs removed from the job, completely deleted from VI, etc)?
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins »

You should also be able to just delete the actual backups of those old VM's under Backups -> DIsks , find the job and delete the VM from backup name and delete the VM's that no longer exist (assuming you no longer want to keep the backups)
Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast

Post by Alan_ORiordan »

foggy wrote:And what is the current setting for deleted VMs retention (btw, it implies any reason why the job cannot process the VM anymore - either VMs removed from the job, completely deleted from VI, etc)?
I am afraid I don't know I don't see the deleted vm option in the advanced settings of the replication job:

http://postimg.org/image/wt23y6wwv/

I guess it will go away when I delete the replicas from disk
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, this setting is not displayed in the replication job configuration, however it can be adjusted via PowerShell. This behavior is unintentional, see this thread for more info > Job Report configuration