PowerShell script exchange
Buh95
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: H.Schema.

How to uncompres a VBK file ?

Post by Buh95 »

Hi all,

I'm currently backuping my 300 Vms on a physical Veeam Server with local storage (SAS).
Once a week, some backup copy jobs pick up the last restore point of each backup and put them on another local volume, still on my Veeam Server.
Those local copy jobs produce a set of VBK/VIB files according my GFS policy.

I'd like to automatically push my VBK files (not the VIB) on another storage system, that is a Quantum DXi deduplication NAS. Just to have an off-site backup copy of my GFS archives.

I've tried to do some others backup copy jobs with my Quantum as destination, but merge operations are incompatible with those kind of system.
So my idea was to execute a script at the end of each local backup copy job to launch a robocopy of the VBK on my Quantum. This script runs well but my problem is that VBK files at source (produced by my backup copy job) are compressed (mandatory for my local volume). And so, deduplication is not as effective as it could be on my Quantum system.

So my question : is there any way to uncompress a VBK file and produce a "big" VBK in command line (powershell or something else...) ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: How to uncompres a VBK file ?

Post by veremin »

What compression level are you using?
Buh95
Influencer

Post by Buh95 »

This is the "Auto (recommended)" compression level in the advanced settings of the copy jobs.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Got it. There is no command for decompressing .vbk files.

However, starting from version 9, you can create Scale-Out Backup Repository, selecting one extent (Quantum system) for storing only full backups. In the extent settings you could enable "decompress" option. Thus, all of your full backups produced by backup copy job will be placed on dedupe device in uncompressed state.

Thanks.
Buh95
Influencer

Post by Buh95 »

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, waiting for V9 so... but I don't it will do the job as I want to keep my primary backup repository locally (for job and GFS) as my Quantum will never be a good candidate for performing merge operation.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I still encourage you to try, since with such backup file placement files will be located on different storage device and the I/O load being distributed between them will be lower. That should allow the given appliance to handle transformation better.

Thanks.