Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
AFetisov
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexander Fetisov

Veeam, VMware, Netapp snapshots

Post by AFetisov »

Hello. I have a "simple" configuration without any block protocols (iSCSI and FC):

VeeamBR server: VLAN-management
VeeamProxy server: VLAN-backup-data, VLAN-NFS
VeeamRepo server (repository server with a lot of disk space): VLAN-backup-data
Netapp-Cluster (c-mode DoT): VLAN-management
Netapp-SVM (storage virtual machine with NFS volume which exported as VMware datastore): VLAN-NFS

I connected Netapp-Cluster to the "storage infrastructure" and saw Netapp volumes. Next I tried to create backup job. I checked "Use storage snapshots" in job settings and then started job.
In the status message I got warning message: Cannot find backup proxy capable of retrieving VM data from storage snapshot. And job was falled back to HotAdd mode. What am I doing wrong? How can I use storage snapshots for backups?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam, VMware, Netapp snapshots

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Do you have "Enterprise+" license? If so, then please double-check the requirements for backup from storage snapshot.

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Also, you need to configure specific backup proxy to be able to backup from storage snapshots.
AFetisov
Lurker
Full Name: Alexander Fetisov

Post by AFetisov »

foggy wrote:Also, you need to configure specific backup proxy to be able to backup from storage snapshots.
Yeap. Proxy was configured as needed: "NFS traffic between the backup proxy and storage system must be allowed." As I wrote in my 1 post - you can see that Veeam-proxy and Netapp-SVM are both in the VLAN-NFS network.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Then please contact technical support for a closer look at your setup.
cgruber
Lurker

Post by cgruber »

I had the same issue (but with iSCSI, not NFS datastores), but the problem solved itself after a few hours. No idea why ;)
Also after adding an additional NetApp Controller, I had no chance to backup from these datastores using direct SAN mode (warning-msg: Cannot find backup proxy capable of retrieving VM data from storage snapshot), but after a few hours it worked autoMAGICally ;)