Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Poor proxy selection

Post by DaveWatkins » 1 person likes this post

Hi All

I've got some questions about proxy selection hat haven't been answered in other posts. Actually they almost have but what I'm really looking for is a solution to a problem that may also be a feature request.

Basically from what I can tell proxy selection is based off matching the ESX management IP address with a proxy address in the same subnet, and if that doesn't match then it's entirely random. This seems... really limited.

At the very least having a basic latency test and using the closest proxy would make the most sense, but whats more disturbing is even is the proxy is SAN connected but in a different subnet it's _still_ not selected. Surely B&R should be able to determine that if a proxy is SAN connected to the LUN's the VM volumes are on then that should be the proxy used no matter it's IP address?

Basically we have multiple subnets in our datacenters and as we've just discovered when migrating ESX hosts from one subnet to the other proxy select goes out the window, in one case we have a VM in one datacenter use a proxy at the other end of the country to backup to a repository in a third location when there was a local proxy that was SAN connected that was just in a different subnet.

Being able to manually select a proxy is of no use as our jobs have VM's from multiple sites and proxy select is per job, not per VM (which would in itself be a welcome improvement).

What I'd really like to see is all the above suggestions though. Being able to specify proxy per VM (even when using tags), or at the very least being able to specify proxy per VMWare datacenter. This could be as simple as maintaining a manual set of rules like you do for traffic limiting to say these subnets are all in the same site, so any VM in that subnet automatically selects proxies in that list. It would also make sense to me to make the automatic detection smarter but a) testing latency between all VM's and proxies to get an idea of which are local and b) by using a SAN connected proxy if it has access to the datastores even if it's not in the same subnet.