Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Michael Paul

VMWare vSphere 5.5 to 6 CBT

Post by micoolpaul »

Morning,

I did use the search functionality but being honest since it wasn't on the first page I gave up! (like many of us are guilty of doing with Google!). I've been holding off on doing the 5.5 to 6 migration due to all the bugs but it finally looks like we're at a stable place to do so, my question is, has anyone that was on 5.5 tested a migration to 6 without resetting CBT? I'm not sure if the changes that have been made could make the 5.5 CBT information invalid in 6 etc.

Any help is appreciated! :)
-------------
Michael Paul
Veeam Legend | Veeam Certified Architect | Veeam Vanguard
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: VMWare vSphere 5.5 to 6 CBT

Post by Gostev »

Hello! In theory, CBT reset should not be required as long as you manage to perform the upgrade in a way that snapshots are not created on VMs running on vSphere 6 before the patch is installed. Honestly, if I were you, I would just wait for vSphere 6 Update 1b (or whatever) that incorporates the fix. This will make it much easier to upgrade to, and the CBT fix itself will be much better tested by then.

But then again, rumor goes that this new build will be out on the second week of December only, so think twice if you want to start the upgrade as soon as it is available, and then potentially ruin your Christmas holidays ;)
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

Post by jamerson » 1 person likes this post

Hi Mico,
I can tell you I've tested the same last day for one of our customers,

I've builed a lab with 5.5 latest patch 3116895 so no CBT corruption. tried VEEAM and restore everything is fine as meant to be.
upgraded the Host to 6.0 Build 3247720 and run a new backup with Veeam. i't took extremely long had to deleted probably the old one and merge a new one .
after it finished I tried to restore a win10 EN, it didn't boot straight forward blue screen.
I've tried to restore a Domain controller 2012R2 it didn't even boot keeps crashing and rebooting.
Like Gostev said don't start on the upgrade yet if you wanna spend the Christmas with the family .
ExpertTrigger
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

[MERGED] Upgrade to vSphere 6 or stay on 5.5?

Post by ExpertTrigger »

Hey everyone, it's that time of year again to look at patching/upgrading our infrastructure.

The question is, stay at 5.5 or go to 6? Were on 5.5 Update 1 now so if I stayed at 5.5 I would most likely go to Update 3. What has me nervous is all the bad bugs I've been hearing about in 6, mostly through Gostev's weekly digest.

What's everyone's thoughts?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Robert,
We have a number of conversations around vSphere 6 support. Most of people say upgrading to v6 may be tricky because of the bugs you read in Gostev`s digest. As far as I know there is no really stable and tested version so far.
Do you have a particular reason to update now?
Thanks!
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed » 1 person likes this post

We're up to 6.0 Build 3247720, have run the CBT reset script against all our VM's, waited through a fresh full backup to re-read the CBT, even wait for a couple following incrementals to pass, done some random spot check full VM restores, and so far haven't found an issue. I think 1-2 of my restored VM's did hang on first boot, but Upgrade the Virtual Hardware, make sure they're updating their VMware Tools on reboot seemed to get them up and running.

We still have a couple 5.5 hosts that are waiting on their upgrades to happen after the holidays, we'll re-run the reset script against their VM's for good measure and perform the same spot checking when complete.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)