Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
aquiiinux
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: aquilinux

Exlcude a single VM backup job status from alarms

Post by aquiiinux »

Hi all, i have a daily backup job that includes a VM whose datastore will always raise a warning during backup since the free space on datastore is below a custom value.
This particular case is not an issue to me, so i'd like to disable datastore monitoring in Veeam B&R for that particular datastore only. But afaik i'm only able to turn datastore space monitoring on/off from options panel. This is too much, i'd like to have Veeam B&R to raise alarms for all datastores space falling below a custom size, except for this one.
So, i'm trying to catch and exclude this alarm on Veeam One, but i can't find where (if possible) i could add an exception for a particular vm backup inside a backup job.
Is there any place, either on Veeam One or Veeam B&R, where i can disable only this datastore warning during backup job?
Long story short, i don't want to be "annoyed" daily by mail for a single vm backup job warning that i'm already aware of, but i still want to be notified of everything else concerning data protection.

Thanks!
Regards.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Exlcude a single VM backup job status from alarms

Post by Shestakov »

Hi,
You can find the alarm in the "Alarm Management" tab, and edit the "Assignment", excluding this particular datastore. Or you can go to "Suppress" of the alarm and suppress it during the time period when the particular job is running.
Will that be enough?
Thanks!
aquiiinux
Novice

Post by aquiiinux »

Hi and thanks for your quick reply.
Under ASsignments for Backup Job State i only have the object "Backup Infrastructure"… and i cannot go any deeper in that object. when trying to add a new assignment, i am only able to add it from "data protection" and the only object, again, is "Backup Infrastructure".
A for the Suppress way, this will suppress "any backup job state" for that period, for the whole BAckup Infrastructure, which is not desired...

Regards,
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Are we talking about "Datastore free space alarm"? Are you at vSphere infrastructure?
In the corresponding alarm`s "Assignment" tab you can click "add"->"Infrastructure Tree" and choose Datastores to be taken into account for that alarm. If you uncheck the desired datastore, it will not trigger the alarm.
aquiiinux wrote:A for the Suppress way, this will suppress "any backup job state" for that period, for the whole BAckup Infrastructure, which is not desired...
Not really, if you set suppression for the particular alarm, it will disable only that alarm for the indicated period of time.
aquiiinux
Novice

Post by aquiiinux »

No, i'm talking about "Backup Job Status" alarm which Veeam One raises from Veeam B&R.
The datastore warning alarm is fired during the backup job, since i have configured B&R to look for datastore free space issues in the global Options.
In B&R i cannot exclude a particular VM or job from this check. The check is done (or not) globally. So my workaround is to disable the check (globally) and let Veeam One monitor the datastores via "Virtual Infrastructure" objects (excluding the one i'm not interested in).
What i can't find is a configuration in Veeam One that lets me drill down the "backup Infrastructure" object to have either a Backup job or a VM object.
VEeam One receives the warning from B&R and blindly reports it. I cannot even exclude this job from reporting. The only scope i can see is the top level "backup infrastructure server" object.
I can only exclude the "backup infrastructure server" object from the "backup job state" alarm, nothing deeper.
I hope you get the idea of what i'm looking for... thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I see your point. VBR can not disable datastore free space warning and Veeam ONE collects the job`s state. Once the backup job triggers warning or error, it sends VeeamBpBackupSessionErrorEvent to Veeam ONE, and it can not be broken to peaces to filter particular warnings for now.
So besides the basic recommendation to free up some space on the datastore, I would suggest only disabling the corresponding Veeam ONE alarm as a workaround. Or you can leave errors only.
Excluding the datastore from Veeam ONE Monitor will not help because it`s VBR server who triggers the alarm, not the datastore itself.
Thanks!