Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bjfails
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Beau Fails

Performance increase

Post by bjfails »

My backup structure is as follows. 2 Hosts SAS connected to a PowerVault MD3200. The primary repository is a NAS network attached storage RAID 1. The redundant backup is a Tanberg RDX 3TB USB 3.0. The proxy is a virtual located on one of the hosts and the Datastore is on that host, not the SAN. The Backup is to the nas is configured as a ISCI Initiator through the 1gbps network. I backup approx 800gb incremental overnight when no network traffic. Getting about 35Mb/s with a bottleneck at the source - 96% source 67% proxy 9% network 4% target. My Backup Copy is to the RDX which runs through the proxy (A VM so uses the VM USB Controller) and as suspected only getting about 9Mb/s. Without major hardware changes is there a change I can make to speed up Backup Copy mainly, but anything would be nice.

Thanks in advance.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Performance increase

Post by foggy »

What are the bottleneck stats for the backup copy job?
bjfails
Novice

Post by bjfails »

Stats for Backup Copy are 25% Source > 2% Proxy > 16% Network > 74% Target.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

That means that the target storage cannot provide enough IOPS. Try to target the job to some other storage to see whether it will perform better.

Am I understanding right, that RDX is also presented to the Veeam B&R server?
bjfails
Novice

Post by bjfails »

Yes the RDX is presented to the B&R as a repository but I am pretty sure that the issue is it is connected to a USB 2.0 port and that is probably going to be my main problem. I am looking for a compatible USB 3.0 card to put in the host that is VmWare compliant then that hopefully will help a lot.
hucmat
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matt Hucker

Post by hucmat » 1 person likes this post

I run a similar setup for our small sites and I've found that you just can't rely on VMware USB passthrough for any kind of performance. It works for small backups, but once you start to get a large amount of data the processing rate is just too slow to get the job done in any kind of reasonable backup window.

I've switched to using an old physical machine, with a USB 3 card, as a Veeam proxy for RDX backups. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just an old desktop machine will do.
bjfails
Novice

Post by bjfails » 2 people like this post

I added a USB 3.0 card and switched the controller to XHCI and my speeds increased to 66 Mb/s all over LAN.