Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Khue
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Feature Request - Veeam 8 Email Consolidation

Post by Khue »

I just upgraded from Veeam 7 to Veeam 8 and I've noticed a change in the email behavior that is causing a bunch of additional email notifications to be sent based on my environment. I was instructed by support to put in a feature request. The original ticket I opened was: #01256485.

In Veeam 8, the current behavior is to send a failure notification email and then follow up with a second email containing the results of the retry and if that retry failed or part of it failed, the system will send a subsequent email until the retry limit has been reached. In Veeam 7, the behavior is to send a consolidated email that contains the original attempt and if it was a failure or warning, the subsequent retry (or retries) would be noted on the same email for that specific job.

I would like to request an option to have a consolidated job email notification option. It's a quality of life improvement in my mind. I can provide before/after examples as well if necessary. My daily life before Veeam 8 was to expect 6 separate job emails and I would review each email every morning. Now I have to kind of figure out which retry corresponds to which original job and how many retry emails I need to review to make sure the job got done successfully.

Thanks in advance, and if this is the wrong section to post feature requests, I apologize as I could not find a formatting/posting sticky about it.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Feature Request - Veeam 8 Email Consolidation

Post by tsightler » 2 people like this post

In the global email options there is a checkbox labeled Suppress notifications until the last retry which I believe provides the behavior you are looking for.
http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... tions.html
Khue
Enthusiast

Post by Khue »

I have enabled the option and I will see what happens. It's strange that the support agent didn't know about that.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Sometimes it happens that certain things slips from our mind. By the way, if you want to get a daily job summary report, as well, you might want to configure it in Enterprise Manager or in Veeam ONE. Thanks.
swilsonbsb
Novice
Full Name: Shawn Wilson

[MERGED] Notification change request

Post by swilsonbsb » 1 person likes this post

When a job runs into an problem, say a network issue, it will kick off an email complaining about that error. When I look at the job the next day however, the job has completed because a retry happened and things worked the next time around (60 seconds later).

It would be nice if I could either tell Veeam to suppress errors when they are resolved with a retry. If I can't have that, then please have Veeam send me a second notice of a successful completion in addition to the failure. At least that way I see evidence of the successful job after the failure in my email and I can rest easy instead of having to dig through the UI only to find out that everything is fine.

Part of the reason for my request is that people other than strictly IT get notices of failures with backups as a second set of eyes on things. When Veeam sends out a failure, they have to reach out to us to ask what happened and time after time we have to tell them that it's ok even though the email said it's not ok. If Veeam sent out a success when it succeeded after a retry, then it would give us all confirmation that things completed without the extra communication needing to be done.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Shawn, looks like the behavior you're asking for is already there.