Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
BSalyer
Novice
Liked: never

Dumb Question - what does VeeamOne monitor in SCVMM?

Post by BSalyer »

I'm testing out Veeam to see if it works for our environment and I guess I'm just confused about what Veeam does. I see how it works with the Hyper-V hosts (2008 R2), and I can add a SCVMM Host, but it doesn't really DO anything. It indexes the clients and lists them for me, generated a few alerts about snapshot age and such but never collected any data or even the running information that SCVMM shows.

I'm installing the v8.1 patch currently and wanted to post this while it runs.

SCVMM 2012 R2 is installed on the same machine Reports version 3.2.7895.0 which I think is Update Rollup 5.
The VeeamOne V8 is using an administrative account within SCVMM and I've verified it can log in and see the data.

Any help or direction would be appreciated, I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious.....
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Dumb Question - what does VeeamOne monitor in SCVMM?

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
Veeam ONE is a monitoring, reporting, and capacity planning tool for virtual and backup infrastructure. It helps enable availability by providing complete visibility of the IT environment to detect issues before they have operational impact.
I would suggest to review its User Guide to get more understanding.
Could you specify what you were expecting Veeam One to do?
Thanks!
BSalyer
Novice

Post by BSalyer »

I guess my expectation was that I could link my SCVMM server to VeeamOne and monitor my virtual machines through that. Without getting data for CPU, Memory, Network, Virtual Switch, Disk, and so on, I'm not sure what value Veeam offers for adding the VMM server.

as I said before, it doesn't seem to DO anything with regards to the VMM server... just kinda acknowledges that I have one and shows me a list of VMs, that VMM also shows. Veeam's list doesn't include the CPU Usage or Memory usage though, so I'm not certain why those columns are there.

For the Hyper-V Hosts it pulls the data mostly correctly... I think my only complaint there is the "Assigned Memory" only shows the bootup memory and doesn't seem to support Dynamic RAM. I can just assume it will be supported in a later version though and that I can disable the RAM alerts until then.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the clarification!
Actually if you add SCVMM to Veeam One, it will collect described metrics(CPU, Memory, Network, Virtual Switch, Disk, and so on) for all hosts in the infrastructure via SCVMM connection, so you don`t need to add all hosts/clusters one by one.
As you mentioned, Veeam One doesn`t collect a lot about the SCVMM itself.
Please let us know if you are missing some relevant information using Veeam One product. Thank you.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, Nikita is correct. Think of SCVMM as a proxy for all your hosts connection. We recommend to add it, when overview of the entire infrastructure is required.
BSalyer
Novice

Post by BSalyer »

Shestakov wrote:Thanks for the clarification!
Actually if you add SCVMM to Veeam One, it will collect described metrics(CPU, Memory, Network, Virtual Switch, Disk, and so on) for all hosts in the infrastructure via SCVMM connection, so you don`t need to add all hosts/clusters one by one.
As you mentioned, Veeam One doesn`t collect a lot about the SCVMM itself.
Please let us know if you are missing some relevant information using Veeam One product. Thank you.
Hrm that doesn't seem to be what I'm getting.

I'm not trying to monitor metrics of the SCVMM server, only use it to monitor the metrics of the Hyper-V Host servers and clients.

I added my SCVMM server and it shows an index of the virtual machines, groups, hosts. It shows the state, the name, status, host, ip address, dns name, number of CPUs, the boot memory (it calls Assigned memory), Guest OS and Integration Services.
the tabs for CPU, Memory, Network, Virtual Switch etc have no information.

If I add a host directly and do NOT use the SCVMM, it get the associated metrics you mention, CPU, memory, disk.

Is there something I need to do to make it work? I think I may have to open a support case. I was testing the product to see if it would work for my company but so far it's not functioning as advertised or described.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I see your point. Actually performance metrics of SCVMM-associated hosts should be shown.
So yes, if it doesn`t work this way, you can contact Veeam technical support.
Once you open a support case, please post its number here for us to speed it up. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Make sure the connection account you specify for SCVMM server has admin permissions on the Hyper-V hosts.
BSalyer
Novice

Post by BSalyer »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Make sure the connection account you specify for SCVMM server has admin permissions on the Hyper-V hosts.
Yup, made sure the account is an administrator within SCVMM as well as local administrator for the Hyper-V Hosts themselves. Same account is used when I add the hosts direct as when I add SCVMM.

Looks like Case# is 00867097, once it shows up in my account list I'll upload the logs
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks!
I`ve asked support managers to escalate it, they`ll do soon. Please proceed working with support.
GenericUser321
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Alex Huntington

Post by GenericUser321 »

Did you get any resolution for this? We have the same Issue. Added the SCVMM server with a Domain Admin account but none of the Hyper-V hosts or VMs are showing up.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Does the account used to connect to SCVMM has admin credentials on the managed Hyper-v hosts as well?
GenericUser321
Service Provider

Post by GenericUser321 »

Our is resolved, just took ages to start populating metrics etc. Left it over night.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Alex,
I`ve discussed the case with support team and it looks like you are having different issue from the OP. Could you contact them for an assistance and the logs review?
Thanks!
GenericUser321
Service Provider

Post by GenericUser321 »

Thanks Shestakov,

No need for a support case I was just impatient, all metrics populated over night.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the update, Alex!
What time did them take to appear?