Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
michaelryancook
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Michael Cook

3par Snapshots left behind

Post by michaelryancook »

Hello and TIA. I plan on opening a ticket to determine why some Veeam created snapshots are left behind but in the meantime I need to know if they are safe to delete. My understanding is that they are but I do have not used 3par enough to be confident. I have a number of VVOLs with copies left behind. They each have zero exports. If I understand it correctly they are a point in time and can be deleted. Can anyone please give me some advice on this?

As well, Veeam B&R is unaware of the snapshots and shows a snapshot count of zero on all these volumes.

Michael
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: 3par Snapshots left behind

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Michael,
The behavior you`ve described is not expected, so contacting the Veeam support is what you need to do here. Once you do, please provide your support case number.
You can also review the topic where your post has been merged to for more info.
Thanks!
michaelryancook
Expert

Thanks Nikita. I have opened a ticket 01310630. I will try to update here with the results. Am I missing something though as I haven't noticed my posts being merged yet?

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It's been merged by mistake to the discussion talking about different issue. Now, we've returned everything back. Thanks.
michaelryancook
Expert

The response I received was "Since these snapshots don't show up in Veeam, you can delete them manually from the HP 3PAR console. This might be caused when Veeam tries to remove a storage snapshot when the SAN is too busy processing other requests. If the snapshot removal fails for this reason, Veeam doesn't display any error message."

We have removed the orphaned snapshots and will try to monitor going forward to determine if we can determine a root cause.