Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Marc K

Enterprise Manager File Search of Multiple Job VM

Post by mkaec »

I was testing Veeam 8.0's Enterprise Manager's file search and was not finding my test file. It turned out that the default search settings do not work well with how I have the file server configured for backup. The file server is split into separate jobs in order to apply different retention and replication settings to different volumes. By default, Enterprise Manager only searches the latest backup. This works fine when an entire VM is backed up at once, but not so well in a case like this when different volumes are backed up in separate jobs. The solution is to apply a date range to "Backup Time" that encompasses when all of the related jobs last ran.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Enterprise Manager File Search of Multiple Job VM

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Marc,
Are you talking about cases when the needed file is only in latest backups, but doesn`t persist in the newest one?
Thanks!
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Marc K

Post by mkaec »

I don't think so. Here is an example.

I back up the C: drive in a job. Then a second job backs up the D: drive. If I use Enterprise Manager to search for a file that is on the C: drive, it won't find it because it is only looking at the most recent job that backed up the D: drive.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Currently, it's default behaviour, indeed, that results in the described situation in cases similar to yours.

We might think what can be done in this regard in future. So, thank you for the feedback; appreciated.