Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
systeembeheerder
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Addy

ftdisk and PlugPlayManager errors

Post by systeembeheerder »

Hi,

I have been using Veeam Backup (4.1) succesfully for a while now. I am using Virtual appliance mode (this is because of the configuration).
I backup multiple servers in a job, to a remote share. The backups are succesful, but in my event viewer there are lots of errors in the System, mainly of two types:

1. source: ftdisk EventID: 57 : Type: Warning
The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

2. source: PlugPlayManager EventID: 12 Type: Error
The device 'VMware Virtual disk SCSI Disk Device' (SCSI\Disk&Ven_VMware&Prod_Virtual_disk&Rev_1.0\4&1588251b&0&000600) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

What is going wrong, and how can I resolve this?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: ftdisk and PlugPlayManager errors

Post by Gostev »

Hello, what computer do you see these events on?
systeembeheerder
Enthusiast

On the virtual server (windows 2003R2sp2) with the Veaam backup installed.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

In that case, event 1 is unrelated to Veeam Backup. Event 2 is normal to see on Veeam Backup VM, as this is how virtual appliance mode backup works - by hotadding and unhotadding disks. The disks do not need to be "prepared for removal" as they are used in read-only mode.
systeembeheerder
Enthusiast

Hi Gostev,
Good to know that the event 2 is a problem that can be ignored. I wonder how event 1 can not be related, because it both events always occure together. So they must be related.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Then it is probably related that hot-added disks are mounted as read-only, and Windows cannot write data there, which results in this error.
mmonroe
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Monroe

Post by mmonroe »

We also get the same errors. Windows is clearly "troubled" by the way the mounts/unmounts are being handled.

Personally, I would prefer that Veeam handle the hotadding and unhottadding in a way that prevented the errors. As an admin dealing with issues in the event logs, you never want to get to the point where you desensitized to and overlooking critical system errors and warnings.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hotadding and unhotadding is handled by vStorage API directly, so we cannot control this process. We could potentially inject into the API and override its behavior. But I am not sure this issue worth doing this, as it is purely cosmetic - while injection may introduce very real problems :)

I guess we should bring this up with VMware, and may be they will fix this issue in the future releases.