Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
wgrixti
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Wayne Grixti

Backup Copy & SQL Tran Logs

Post by wgrixti »

Hi,

I am running V8 Patch 3.

In the GUI it does not look like the "Backup Copy" copies over the Transaction Logs associated with a Backup Job that uses Application-Aware processing to Backup SQL logs periodically.
If I look at the Disk view under Backups under the Backup Job I can see the VM and the Tran Logs however under the Backup Copy job I can see the VM but there are no Tran Logs.
Are the logs actually there? Is this normal?

Thanks

Wayne
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backup Copy & SQL Tran Logs

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Backup Copy jobs do not support shipping transaction log backups. But, we are considering this feature. Thanks!
wgrixti
Influencer

Post by wgrixti »

Thank you for the quick reply.

Where are the actual Tran logs stored on the backup repository? Can I set up a copy process to move them to a different server?
alexander sh
Veeam Software
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Alexander Shelemin

Post by alexander sh »

Hi wgrixti,
the transaction logs are stored in the same backup job folder along with the regular backup files. They are stored in files with .vlb extension.
These are container files which store multiple tran log backup files each. You could in theory set up a copy process to copy them somewhere, however you wouldn't be able to utilize these files for SQL point in time restore unless you also have the image-level backup files from the original backup job itself - meaning you can't apply these log files to backup files generated by a backup copy job.
wgrixti
Influencer

Post by wgrixti »

Thank you for clarifying this Alexander.

It would be nice to see this as a new feature going forward to have Tran Logs copied across and associated with the VM during a Backup Copy process.