Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kkuszek
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Kurt Kuszek

Feature request: History view column "filter by" and...

Post by kkuszek »

Sharing a thought I had trying to find old backups.
Within history view I think incremental/full should be a sortable column type.

I also would like to see filtering and not just sorting (i.e. show me only successful, failed, or warning full or incremental backups, etc.).
Think of the reasons someone might go to history view. I might be going there just to find the last time I had a good successful full backup run or how often a specific failure might happen. There should be faster ways to do this. Think of excel style filtering for familiar formatting (maybe I just right click the column, choose filter, and uncheck boxes. or maybe I right click a job where it says warning and say filter by > column type)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Feature request: History view column "filter by" and...

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Kurt,
Viewing extensive Job Details can be done in Veeam ONE now. Have you tried that?
Not sure if making VBR GUI more complicated is a great idea.
Thanks!
kkuszek
Enthusiast

Post by kkuszek »

Thanks Shestakov,

I actually have not looked into it. We have VeeamONE but I don't log into it frequently. I should probably do so more often, but I am not sure having to log into a different product is really the right choice here? Shouldn't B&R be more self contained? I would think the example tasks listed are likely fairly commonplace backup administrator tasks.
Veeamone is on a different server and I prefer a more single pane for tasks at hand vs having to use different products and going in different places. The screenshot your linked looks great and the view looks similar to what I envisioned without being too complex or intimidating.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, I agree for simple tasks Veeam backup console should be enough, though for advanced and flexible reporting we do recommend to use Veeam Availability Suite (that includes Veeam ONE).
kkuszek
Enthusiast

Post by kkuszek » 1 person likes this post

Now that B&R functions as a remote console, I wonder if there might be some value to configuring your ONE server in settings while having direct extensions into one right in the same console? allowing ONE functionality to supercharge your B&R console if you are an availability suite customer (such as myself)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Good suggestion.
pshute
Veteran
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Post by pshute »

I also would like a little more flexibility in the history filtering and sorting.

If I want to check through all the full backups for a particular job, I can't filter to see just those. I can only filter for the actual job name. If I try to type " (Full" at the end of the name, it displays no jobs, even though it shows the job types in the Job Name column. E.g. if the job is called "Main Backup", typing "Main Backup" in the filter shows all full and incrementals, but typing "Main Backup (Full)" shows none.

I can sort by Job Name to group all the full backups together, but then they're in a random date order.

It's also annoying that the filter string on matches the start of the Job Name. If I have many jobs that start with the same string, I have to type a lot more of the name than necessary to match what I want. E.g. if there are jobs called "Main backup 1", "Main backup 2", etc, if I want to see just "Main backup 6", I have to type that whole string. If it was altered to match any part of the Job Name, I could just type "6".

It would also be nice to be able to filter on the Status so I can see, say, all the failures. I can sort on that column to group them together, but again they're in random order.

Ideas:
- Make job type part of the string that's matched with the filter string
- When sorting by any columns, also sort by Start Time (this alone would make most things possible, if not necessarily convenient)
- Filter string can match any part of Job Name/type
- Filter string history
- More complex filter strings, e.g. "JobName:main JobType:Incr Status:fail Before:2017-01-01"
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Peter.
Thanks for the detailed request.
Adding a column of Full/incremental run doesn`t look like a good idea for me as there are some jobs as Surebackup, File Copy etc. with no Full/Incremental runs, so that column will not make sense for them.
Other ideas look good and sane.
By the way, do you use Veeam ONE?
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Post by tdewin »

Here is a one liner in powershell, giving you all the filter options you want + it pipes it out to a nice GUI window using out-gridview

Code: Select all

asnp veeampssnapin;Get-VBRBackupSession | ? { $_.Name -match "Incremental" } | Sort-Object -Descending -Property Endtime | select Name,EndTime,State | Out-GridView -wait
Save it as powershell script on disk, right click, run.
pirx
Veeam Legend
Liked: 72 times

Post by pirx »

I just stumbled across this old post while searching for a secret option to better filter or sort the jobs and history in Console. I'm still on v10 so I don't know if anything has changed. But I find it very hard to work efficiently with Veeam Console. I really don't know what good reason there could be to not have a proper filter or sort option. I can sort by status, but then it's not sorted by time anymore. The powershell in the post above does not help me much, I usually need the messages of the task and each individual VM.

Currently I'm trying to find all failed offload tasks for a certain job sorted by time. I can search for the jobname, but then I can only sort by time or state. I also looked into EBM, but EBM doesn't show offload tasks at all.

It would also be nice to have a list of all backup/copy/offload tasks in Console in one view as I've had a lot of offload related problems. To have everything in one view would have helped much.