Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Feature Request - 'Backup and shutdown' button.

Post by readie »

Sorry if this feature is already there, but I haven't found it.
Like MS offers you 'install updates and shutdown' if there are updates ready, could you offer 'backup and shutdown' on the same windows (shutdown) button, so when I go to bed . . . ?
I tried a schedule early in the morning, followed by 'shutdown when finished' but a) I'm never sure how late I will use the PC, and b) often forget, and just shutdown when I leave, so VEB cannot then do its backup.
The MS icon on the shutdown button is really nice. . .
Thanks for the thought - or do tell me how to achieve this with what's there already.
Bob
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request - 'Backup and shutdown' button

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for bringing this up! Yes, I heard this request several times, so we will discuss it with the team for sure. By the way, I bet it’s possible to work around this functionality via scripting even now :wink:
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Re: Feature Request - 'Backup and shutdown' button.

Post by readie » 1 person likes this post

Whooaaah! Scripting?? I was brought up on Assembler Code in the 1970s and was eternally thankful when programming became 'easier' and higher level, and then WYSIWYG and WINDOWS GUIs made everything point, click and drag. I have dabbled with powershell (now Microsoft have dictated that I have to, as so many features of their new servers are not available in a GUI) but don't want to do more than I have to.
Thanks for considering the feature, as long as it's on a list - I know I could trigger a manual backup with 'after backup, shutdown' each night, but trying to remember, and get all members of my family to do the same . . .
Thanks, as always. Bob
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request - 'Backup and shutdown' button.

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Bob,

Yup – I’ll do my best to push it further. I don’t like scripting myself, since that’s not something my wife could do :mrgreen: