Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Limiting/setting the number of concurrent jobs

Post by marius roma »

I manage a Veeam B&R 7 infrastructure with many concurrent backup and replica jobs.
I see that the maximum number of concurrent jobs is 6, so at each time I see only 6 jobs running and all the other jobs waiting for infrastructure resources.
Is the number of 6 job determined by HW resources or is it define anywhere?
I would like to increase the number of concurrent backup jobs and to ensure that each time at least 4 backup jobs can run concurrently and no more than 2 replicas can run. More replicas should be enabled to start only if no backup jobs are waiting.
How can I get the result I need?
Regards
Marius
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Limiting/setting the number of concurrent jobs

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello Mario,
How many proxy servers do you have?
The number of concurrent tasks depends on the proxy settings. And it is set depending on number of CPUs on the proxy, so yes, it`s a HW limitation. You may add more resources to increase number of concurrent tasks.
Thanks!
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Post by marius roma »

At the moment I have a proxy installed on the Veeam server itself, but the server has 12 cores so the limitation should exist elsewhere...
Replicas are managed using a remote proxy, so I could limit the nomber of jobs on the remote proxy to limit the number of concurrent replicas.
Where are the settings I can set manually?
Regards
marius
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Mario, please open the proxy server settings under Backup Infrastructure node and set the required concurrent tasks limit for it. Using the target proxy should work for limiting the number of concurrent replication jobs. Also please note, that the task, in terms of Veeam B&R, is a single VM disk, not a job, so even with 6 jobs running at the moment you can actually have more tasks being processed concurrently.