Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
widmerkarl
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Karl Widmer

Feature Request: Tape Handling (Auto-Delete & Task stop)

Post by widmerkarl »

Hello everyone

Since there is no change for tape handling from VBR 8 to VBR 9 i post a feature request.

=> Stop / End a Backup to Tape task after a period of time (changable value) if no tape is inserted after this period of time.

=> Auto-Erase function for tapes when they are used before in other backup programs (like Backup Exec).

The Stop / End task is known from other backup programs and i think its a good feature to make ressources free if they are not used in a period of time (for examples forgot to change tape on friday or before public holiday).

The Auto-Erase function should be implemented since there are only complicated ways to do this automatically, or even manually (e.g. with scripts within windows task scheduler or VBR, or with the tools from tape drive manufacturer). When tapes are not free / cleared, VBR will not use them or throw a warning that they were used before in another program.

We ware using Veeam at most of our customers with virtual infrastructure. And at these customers who do not yet use Veeam, we are working to change that. We have different customer scenarios, from multiple host and shared storage environment to single host with host storage for a few VMs. All backed up by Veeam. Some customers use replication to another site, some are backing up to NAS, some are doing backup copies to tape.
Karl Widmer
IT System Engineer

vExpert 2017-2024
VMware VCP-DCV 2023 / VCA6-DCV / VCA5-DCV / VCA5-Cloud / VMUG Leader
Former Veeam Vanguard / VMCE v9 / VMTSP v9 / VMSP v9
Personal blog: https://www.driftar.ch
Twitter: @widmerkarl
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature Request: Tape Handling (Auto-Delete & Task stop)

Post by veremin »

As to me, the second feature sounds a little bit scary. Say, there is a tape medium that has been written several years ago by 3-party software for long-term archival purposes, and someone accidentally inserts it in a library. What's going to happen next is a backup server auto-erases the tape, without notifying user that has injected it and leaving no chances to revert everything back. Thanks.
widmerkarl
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Karl Widmer

Post by widmerkarl » 1 person likes this post

Hi Eremin,

Thanks for your reply. This is indeed a good point.

I was on that standpoint that the IT guy has to inform the customer that, if this function is there, the tapes will be deleted. If the customer is fine with that, ok. If not, then the IT guy should recommend using new tapes and store the old ones far away from the backup server. That was my thought.
Karl Widmer
IT System Engineer

vExpert 2017-2024
VMware VCP-DCV 2023 / VCA6-DCV / VCA5-DCV / VCA5-Cloud / VMUG Leader
Former Veeam Vanguard / VMCE v9 / VMTSP v9 / VMSP v9
Personal blog: https://www.driftar.ch
Twitter: @widmerkarl
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Got it. I was just trying to point out that the auto-erase functionality has more cons that pros at first glance.

Anyway, your feedback has been heard. So, thank you for sharing that; appreciated.