Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
WinstonWolf
Veteran
Liked: 11 times

Groups for Media Pools

Post by WinstonWolf »

Hello ,

It will be a good Idea to have the possibility to create Groups for the Media Pools .

For Example : You create some Mediapools for experiancing with Backups . But after a while you create new Groups for the real live Backup .
When you delete an Media Pool you dont have the possibility to recover Files from Tape .
But now the old ( Test ) Polls are together with the real Live Pools . Looks not clean and sorted.

Michael
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Groups for Media Pools

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Michael,
Could you elaborate what kind of problem the new feature is going to solve?
If you want to separate tapes of one media pool from another, you can just easily create another media pool.
Thanks!
WinstonWolf
Veteran

Post by WinstonWolf »

I have some old Mediapools with Tapes inside on which Data from earlier December Backups resides . I dont want to loose this Backups .
BUT the older Mediapools together with the actual ones are a little bit confusing .

And for this it will be good to create an Group , for example "old Mediapools" .

You understand what i mean ?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I do, but I don`t see a problem here. You can create as many media pools as you want and distribute tapes among them at your discretion.
Have you tried to set protection periods for media sets for tapes to be protected from overwriting?
Thanks
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Post by ekisner »

I think Winston's problem is that he believes he'll lose the backups.

Winston, in this case, you won't lose the backups - the tapes will retain whichever content they had. You may need to inventory and/or catalog the tapes after deletion, but you won't lose them. A sticky note on the tape with the backup date and content would likely solve your problem. Or if you have other means of documentation available, use that instead to accomplish the same.

Edit:
I've never tried it so I don't know what the UI behaviour is, but what would happen if one were to simply export the media to the vault?
WinstonWolf
Veteran

Post by WinstonWolf »

Ok , now i have an little Problem .

I create an new Media Pool , named it "December Backups" , i moved all tapes from my December Weekly and Monthly Media Pools in this new Pool . Then i deleted the December Weekly and Monthly Pools .

But now in the new Pool the Tapes looses her original Media Set Information !!!!! Very Bad . I thin the Media Pool Optin is at the Moment not the "yellow of the Egg" :-(

A little bit more Options to organize the Media Pools will be good in the future .
Perhaps , that you have an checkbox where you can say that when you move tapes from one Mediapool to antoher , the original Media Set Information should remain .

Now i have an Media Pool with many Offline Tapes and i dont know to which MediaSet originally belongs to . Inventory is only possible for Online Tapes .
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Once you input the tapes inside the library and inventory them, you should see the information regarding mediaset the tapes belong to. Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

@ekisner
Thanks for the input. Just want to mention that another easy way to review what`s on tapes is Veeam ONE with its Tape Backups and Tape Vaults Overview reports.