Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Strecker25
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ryan Strecker

B&R DR Setup and Sanity check

Post by Strecker25 »

Hey all, we're B&R v9 customers and I am in the process of incrementally building a DR scenario. We do not have the servers yet, but the storage is in place and off site already. Connectivity is via 10GB fiber, so plenty of bandwidth.

Storage is NetApp 2x8040 cDOT 8.3.2 --> 2xN6040 cDOT 8.2.3. We were snapmirroing prior to cdot upgrade but that is no longer possible (newer to older relationship)

Anyways, I'd like to use replication within Veeam but since there are no servers yet at the remote site here is what I've come up with.

1)Mount NFS vols within our primary Vcenter from the DR storage, to existing hosts.
2)I can then specify a folder called VeeamDR within our primary vCenter and choose an existing host to create replicas.

While they will technically run in the same vcenter, the data would be effectively DR'd because the storage is offsite. Management understands we cannot spin these backups up in the event of a disaster, but our data would be safe.

I did a test and this seems fine, but I have one concern:

Once we get a second vCenter and our UCS mini at the remote site can I point the replication jobs to a new host/vcenter without requiring a full replication job run again? It's a lot of data (60+ TB) so I'd like to avoid having to start all over again once we have the full infrastructure in place

Any input is appreciated, thanks.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: B&R DR Setup and Sanity check

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Once we get a second vCenter and our UCS mini at the remote site can I point the replication jobs to a new host/vcenter without requiring a full replication job run again? It's a lot of data (60+ TB) so I'd like to avoid having to start all over again once we have the full infrastructure in place
Yes, you can point replicas to DR site with no need to transfer everything all over a again as there is a feature called "replica seeding". All you need is a backup for each of VM that is a subject to replicate at your DR site.

Thank you.