Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
leedickey
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Lee Dickey

Need option to backup Periodically without waking up PC

Post by leedickey »

I responded to a tweet and was told to post this to the forums: https://twitter.com/veeam/status/590142569289515008

Basically most of my users are on laptops and the last thing we want is for their computers to wake up while in their laptop bag to run a backup that it cannot perform because it isn't on the network anyway. I worry about damage to the systems due to overheating. The periodic backup function is a necessity but there should be a way to schedule it without it waking up the computer. Ideally it would try to run the backup after it is woken up after say a time of like 30 minutes (give the user time to connect to the VPN).
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Need option to backup Periodically without waking up PC

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Lee,

First of all, wake up option works only for daily scheduled backups – it is not applied for backups triggered by events. Secondary, this option checks you existing power plan configuration during backup job configuration and it will ask you if you want to get this functionality enabled, so no need to worry it notify you while setting the daily schedule in the configure backup wizard.

Last but not least, you can always check you windows power plan (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings > Change advanced power settings > Sleep > Allow wake timers) wake up setting to be disabled to achieve what you want.

Additional details about the schedule options Veeam Endpoint Help Center > Specify Backup Schedule
leedickey
Novice
Full Name: Lee Dickey

Post by leedickey »

That is a decent work around but I think the EndPoint Backup should have the option to not wake the computer to run backups.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Lee,

Maybe I am missing something but that’s not a work around: there is actually a prompt during the initial backup job schedule configuration asking whether you want us to be able to wake up your machine for scheduled daily backups, or not. We are giving you this choice/option already.
Andy.Thomas
Lurker
Full Name: Andy Thomas

Post by Andy.Thomas »

Is there a way to change this behavior after the initial job has been created?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

You can disable wake up timers any time later in the Power Options of your PC.
bignoddy55
Lurker
Full Name: Michael Shepherdson

Post by bignoddy55 »

I have a Windows 10 pro desktop and run VEB. I setup scheduled backup to run at 7PM, which is when I am usually at the PC and did not allow VEB to wake the PC if necessary.
Two nights in a row, the PC woke at 7Pm to run the backup and this is with ALL power schedules set to disallow wake timers. The only way to stop the 7PM wake up was to deactivate the scheduled backup. Why is this happening?
I agree that there should be an option to run a missed backup next time the PC is running.
Any help greatly appreciated.
ds2
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Rene Keller

Post by ds2 »

What about Windows-Task-Sheduler to trigger Backups?

I use it like this way -> run at a defined time and switching on the option "run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed"

This works realy good for me.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Two nights in a row, the PC woke at 7Pm to run the backup and this is with ALL power schedules set to disallow wake timers
Can you check your OS power plan, specifically allow wake up times option?

bignoddy55
Lurker
Full Name: Michael Shepherdson

Post by bignoddy55 »

Allow wake timers is set at Disable. Options are Enable, Disable and Important wake timers only.
If I check the periodic backup box in VEB, it wakes the computer at 7PM. This should not happen according to the user manual.
The windows task scheduler option above seems the best work around.
Thanks everyone.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Michael,

Thanks for heads up! Kindly open a support case – we need to check your logs as this behavior does not look like expected. Thanks