Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
liviu.tutuianu
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Liviu Tutuianu

Upgrade to v.9 ... in Enterprise Environment

Post by liviu.tutuianu »

Dear all,

Right after each new version release, I get back to you with this question: is there any new way to upgrade our infrastructure in a more easy way then doing everything manually? Maybe even from a centralized location?

In our infrastructure we have 250+ VBRs located in 27 countries ... and I am afraid that we will need to do this upgrade manually again. We are working now on creating an unattended installation ... that will be deployed using a 3rd party software ... but I would like to know if there was developed any solution for us. I am looking for a solution like this since v.5 . :) Or maybe this will be a big step forward in the next version? Is there any procedure how to ask for this "feature" officially?

Thanks in advance,
Liviu
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Upgrade to v.9 ... in Enterprise Environment

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Liviu,

Unattended upgrade is not available, however you may want to consider this workaround right now:
User Guide wrote:Unattended Upgrade

Veeam Backup & Replication does not support product upgrade in the unattended mode. However, you can:

1. Uninstall the previous version of the product.
2. Install a newer version of the product in the unattended mode. You must connect to the configuration database that was used by the previous product version.
Thanks for the feedback!
liviu.tutuianu
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Liviu Tutuianu

Post by liviu.tutuianu »

Dear Vitaliy,

Sincerely, this doesn't sound too promising for our situation. For a client that acquired more than 2500 licences ( Standard, Enterprise and Enterprise Plus ) I would expected more effort from Veeam's side. So, doing manually the steps from above ( which, by the way ... are not as simple as they might seem above :) ) on 250+ servers is the best way that we could do it right now ... and maybe in the future?

Maybe someone else from the forum found a different solution?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I didn't say it is easy way, I was just suggesting possible ways of achieving it. Yes, we keep in mind this feature and do understand challenges with the current approach.