Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
brownp
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul

HyperV Offhost Proxy w/ 3PAR VSS

Post by brownp »

Hi All,

New to Veeam and the forum here so bear with me!!

I've inherited a bit of a mess and backup jobs are failing to run in the availability window. They spend most of their time "waiting for backup infrastructure resources", and if they do complete the Source is highlighted as the vast majority of the bottleneck. Reading up, it seems that an offhost proxy is required.

I've configured one of the physical machines in the failover cluster that has full access to the cluster shared volumes to be an offhost proxy in veeam. The server has HyperV installed (but is not part of a HyperV cluster.

Our SAN is an HP 3PAR system so I installed the 3Par VSS Hardware Provider. This seems to be working correctly and the services are running.

However when I run a job that uses the offhost proxy, it bums out immediately citing the following error: "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: There is no hardware provider for off-host backup detected. Snapshot failover is disabled"

Can anyone tell me if I've missed a step, or if the 3PAR VSS Hardware Provider 2.3.0 is even compatible?

Our environment is full Windows 2012R2, configured in a failover cluster and using windows HyperV. We are using Veeam 7.0.0.870

Thanks in advance!

Paul
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Re: HyperV Offhost Proxy w/ 3PAR VSS

Post by nefes »

Please check, that your offhost proxy and all hosts in cluster have Hardware Provider installed.
It is also worth checking that provider is selected for corresponding volumes (see Backup Infrastrusture -> Microsoft Hyper-V -> Manage Volumes for all your servers).
brownp
Novice

Post by brownp »

Hi nefes,

Thanks for the reply!

You might be onto something there, I'd only installed the vss provider on the machine I wanted to act as the offhost proxy. Looking at the Manage Volumes window as you suggest shows that the MS VSS service is designated on all the other machines and for most of the csv. I'll get that changed and give it a crack tonight!

I'll post back tomorrow, hopefully with good news!

Cheers,

Paul
brownp
Novice

Post by brownp »

Hi All,

Stupid question perhaps, but when configuring an offhost proxy does the VSS snapshot take up disk space on the host, or on the offhost proxy?

Thanks,

Paul
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Snapshot is created on the SAN and is then mounted on the off-host proxy.
burak.bas
Influencer
Full Name: Burak Bas

Post by burak.bas »

Hi Paul,

Are you able to use Veeam Off-Host proxy with Hyper-V and 3PAR successfully. There is no clear document about it. I have following setup:

* I have a physical server runs Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V role enabled and installed 3PAR Cli and 3PAR VSS Provider on it.
* I have a virtual server runs Windows Server2012 and installed Veeam Backup & Replication and Veeam Enterprise Manager on it. (Already using it with Hyper-V On-Host proxy setup)

My questions are:

* Do I exactly need to install 3PAR VSS provider on all Hyper-V hosts?
* Where the backup repository must be on? (Off-Host proxy or Veeam B&R server)
* Are there any key points to care in this setup?

Thanks in advance.

Burak
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

burak.bas wrote:* Do I exactly need to install 3PAR VSS provider on all Hyper-V hosts?
On all Hyper-V hosts as well as the off-host proxy server.
burak.bas wrote:* Where the backup repository must be on? (Off-Host proxy or Veeam B&R server)
It's up to you to decide where to store the backups, it can be even some third server or NAS mounted to the off-host proxy, for example.
burak.bas wrote:* Are there any key points to care in this setup?
It is documented pretty well in the corresponding user guide section, however you can always ask support for assistance in setting your environment up.
burak.bas
Influencer

Post by burak.bas »

Hi foggy,

Thank you very much for your answers. My answers are already on the link you sent. It was my fault. Sorry for taking your time.
burak.bas
Influencer

Post by burak.bas »

Hi,

I successfully tested Off-Host proxy with Hyper-V. It works very well. I have two Off-Host proxies, first is for Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V and the second is for Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V.

I want to ask another question. Someone says that I must import CSVs onto Off-Host proxy in offline mode. But I tested it with and without this requirement, both worked. Is it mandatory?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Could you please share the link with the requirement you're talking about?
burak.bas
Influencer

Post by burak.bas »

Hi foggy,

microsoft-hyper-v-f25/off-host-backup-proxy-t17240.html
microsoft-hyper-v-f25/no-offhost-hyper- ... 80-15.html
microsoft-hyper-v-f25/no-offhost-hyper- ... tml#p50492

I may misunderstood the issue in these threads. But after I read this posts, I thought I have to present CSVs into Off-Host proxy. But I am successfully use my Off-Host proxy without presenting the CSVs.

Thank you very much.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, you need to present the LUN to the proxy server. Are you saying that you do not see the LUN in Disk Management and off-host backup is still performed fine?
burak.bas
Influencer

Post by burak.bas »

Hi foggy,

Yes. I tried both. With and without present CSV LUNs to proxy. Either works without any problem. It mounts snapshot to proxy and takes the backup. Also my repository disks are on proxy and I don't see any traffic on network.

I use HP 3PAR Storage for CSVs and IBM Storwize for Repository. Also I use HP 3PAR VSS for snapshots.

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong without presenting CSVs to proxy since it seems work without any problem.

Your knowledge will be guiding me to configure it correctly.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I'm not sure how this is possible. For off-host backup, both source Hyper-V host and off-host proxy should have access to the shared storage. If the proxy can successfully connect to the storage, volumes should be visible in Disk Management. Probably opening a case and asking support to verify your setup would be the best step.
burak.bas
Influencer

Post by burak.bas »

Hi,

They both access the shared storage, but I didn't export (or map) the CSV disks to off-host proxy. While backing up, I see the snapshot disks in off-host proxy Disk Management.

I will open a case about it to be sure if my setup is ok.

Thank you very much for your guidence.
MCH_helferlein
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Peter Helfer

Post by MCH_helferlein »

What was the fact about this finally?
Do I have to export the LUN's of the 3PAR to the off-host Proxy or not?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Peter, basically there's a requirement to present the LUN to the proxy server to ensure it has read access to it. I'm not sure what was the result in the Burak's case, since he hasn't shared the case ID for reference.