Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
WinstonWolf
Veteran
Liked: 11 times

Which Day for "Virtual Backup to Tape" ?

Post by WinstonWolf »

Hello ,

Im a little bit confused about the "virtual Full Backup to Tape" Start Time

Our Backup to Tape Job runs daily at 01:00 after the VM Backup Job . The Job backup over the Week only the vib files to Tape .
Our Media Pool for the Daily Backup is configured that on every Sunday at 00.30 a new Media Set is created .
What we want is that we have on every Weekly Media Set an vbk ( i think this will be an virtual Full Backup to Tape ) and the vibs from Sunday to Saturday .

And now my Question , on which Day should i set the "virtual Full Backup to Tape" ?
At the Moment it is set on Sunday . is this ok ?
What is the difference when i set this on Saturday , this will be the last Day before an new Media Set is created ?

And another Question , how much vibs are in one Media Set , only the vibs from the last Week not all the vibs , correct ?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Which Day for "Virtual Backup to Tape" ?

Post by PTide »

What is the difference when i set this on Saturday , this will be the last Day before an new Media Set is created?
It's better to leave it on Sunday, here is why:

Consider MediaSet_1 and MediaSet_2 (#2 created after #1).

If you configure virtual full to happen on Saturday then your full will contain Saturday state of your VM and will be written to tape during Saturday tape job run at 1:00 and will be placed ahead of all vibs on the same media pool. Sunday comes, VM backup job generates another .vib, new media set #2 is created, tape job starts at 1:00, grabs that vib and places it to set #2.

Thus if you'll ever need to restore that or any other restore point from #2 you'll need to get that full from set #1 first which I believe is not very convenient.

If you leave your virtual full on Sunday, then the first thing to be written to a new media set #2 will be virtual full with Sunday inside and all subsequent .vibs (until) Saturday will go to set #2.
And now my Question , on which Day should i set the "virtual Full Backup to Tape" ?
Sunday.
And another Question , how much vibs are in one Media Set , only the vibs from the last Week not all the vibs , correct ?
You create new set every week (on Sunday at 0:30) so each of your media sets will contain Sunday full + .vibs for Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat. Next Sunday full will go the next set.
WinstonWolf
Veteran
Liked: 11 times

Post by WinstonWolf »

Hello , and many thanks for the fast answer , now i see a little bit clearer ;-)

At the Moment i have the Problem that i forget to set the Marker in the Tape job for "Process latest full Backup Chain Only" and now the Tape Job writes all vibs and both vbks sinc 04. January on Tape ;-(
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

i forget to set the Marker in the Tape job for "Process latest full Backup Chain Only" and now the Tape Job writes all vibs and both vbks sinc 04. January on Tape ;-(
You can cancel the job right now, erase tape and start all over again, if you want. Otherwise just wait till it finishes and your next tape job run will be fine. Moreover, you don't really need that "latest full chain" checkbox in case you run your tape job daily. More on virtual full here.

Thank you.