Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cardendave
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dave King

Backup Failure - is no longer processed by this job

Post by cardendave »

Hi Guys

I have a problem with a clients backup which I believe is quite common:

server.server.local is no longer processed by this job. Make sure this change is intentional.

From what I am reading this is something to do with a change in vmware, but nothing has changed. I have tried removing the virtual machines and readding them but no joy, although I am doing this without submitting in between as I cannot submit zero VMs. If I create a new job it works, however I cannot recreate the old job as I do not have the space to start a new repository and it also goes to Cloud Connect that I would also have to reseed.

Support case: 01670150

Thanks in advance

Dave
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Failure - is no longer processed by this job

Post by veremin »

I'm wondering what is chosen as a job source. Individual VMs or container, such as VMware Folder, vCenter, Resource Pool, etc.? Object in question is a VM or something different? Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

This happens when VM moref ID is changed, so I would also investigate it with our support engineer (should be easy to find through the logs).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Also, this fact should not result in the job failure, this is just a warning that will go away after deleted VMs retention period expires.
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed »

We also occasionally get random ID changes, causing this same issue in our environment. Same thing. I just remove/re-add the VM to the job and go on (no job recreation, etc). Its next backup will run a full of that particular VM in the job, it does give the same "complaint" until retention passes, along w/ seeing the VM show up twice in the backup file until passing. I dunno, I just live w/ it and cut my eyes at VMware when it happens.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
dahuafschmied
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Markus Flattinger

Post by dahuafschmied »

hi
i had a case some days ago. #01243304
how to assign the new ID to the old backup files.
result: not possible and no plans for a tool/workaround to do this. :-((
i know this is not exact this case. just for information if you are thinking about fixing this case this way.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

rreed wrote:We also occasionally get random ID changes, causing this same issue in our environment.
I wouldn't say it is that random. There are a number of vSphere operations causing it to change.
dahuafschmied wrote:result: not possible and no plans for a tool/workaround to do this. :-((
There's actually a tool that support is aware of that help to match VM IDs in vCenter database, though I'm not saying it's applicable to your specific case.
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed »

Thanks foggy, great article! But for us it's, we all go home at the end of the day, nothing happens/changes over night via human hands, no DRS running, replication, vmotions, etc., come in the next morning, Veeam suddenly can't find/identify a few VM's here and there. As mentioned, I just remove/re-add and go about my business. It's few and far between, doesn't seem to hurt much, so I just live w/ it. Until it happens w/ one of my 3-7TB VM's, then it might become an issue. :wink:
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I'd check VMware event logs right after this occurs, to investigate the reasons. It shouldn't change on its own.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

...and in order to do that you can use Veeam ONE predefined reports from the VMware Configuration Tracking Report Pack