Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lightsout
Expert
Liked: 62 times

Console Silent/Unattended Install

Post by lightsout »

Hey all,

Just upgraded to v9, so far so good. :) I have a question, I'd like to deploy the console via SCCM to multiple users. I found this guide online:

http://veeampdf.s3.amazonaws.com/datash ... lation.pdf

But it doesn't quite cover what I want to do. I found the console installer process is started by running:

Code: Select all

"VeeamBackup&Replication_9.0.0.902\Suite\Bootstrap.exe" VbrConsoleSettings.xml
So is there anyway to do this, so it proceeds automatically, either silent or with a progression bar!

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Console Silent/Unattended Install

Post by Gostev »

Hi, this document is definitely for some previous version (based on some system requirements mentioned) and does not apply to v9. I am not sure if we have such a document for v9 yet (and if we even support unattended console install at all). We will check with our setup team for you. Thanks!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 2 people like this post

So I don't know if this is the officially supported method, but it's just an MSI and, since I already had a requirement for this with another client, I worked out the following:

First you'll need the following two files from the "Backup" directory on the B&R CD/DVD:

Shell.x64.msi
CONSOLE.cab
Then simply run the following command:

msiexec.exe [/L*v "<path_to_log>"] /qn /i "\\Path\to\Shell.x64.msi" ACCEPTEULA="YES"
Other parameters, like INSTALLDIR, are also available. If you the silent install once with the defaults you can the dig through the install log to find the other available parameters but, for the most part, the console doesn't need a lot of customized settings. My client was able to deploy this to a dozen or so desktops with no issue at all and also worked out how to make custom shortcuts to connect direct to their Veeam server without any initial config (quite easy to just copy an existing shortcut). Good luck!
lightsout
Expert
Liked: 62 times

Post by lightsout »

Thats nice. Will granular restores work? I feel the explorers will need to be installed too.

EDIT: Yes, they need installing to if you want to do a restore. They are also easily installed via msiexec too.