Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
michaelryancook
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Michael Cook

SQL Restore fails from Enterprise Manager

Post by michaelryancook »

Hello and TIA. We are testing the delegation of restore duties using Enterprise Manager. Unfortunately we have hit a wall with an error "SQL server validation failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object." Performing this same restore in the Veeam B&R console using the same account works. We have the firewall wide open between the B&R server and the target SQL server. The Enterprise Manager is installed on a separate B&R server. We have 1433 and 1434 open between the EM and the SQL target. Any ideas?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: SQL Restore fails from Enterprise Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

Hi Michael,

This could be related to an issue within the VBR database where a reference is missing however it is advised to open up a support case and let them assist you in resolving this issue.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
michaelryancook
Expert

Thanks Niels. I am just in the process of opening a ticket. I was thinking if it was missing something in the database then it would have affected the restore from within B&R as well. I'll see what support can dig up for us.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Just out of curiosity - what kind of restore are you initiating via Enterprise Manager? Application Item-level one or something else?
michaelryancook
Expert

It is an application item one. SQL specifically. I select the uat database server from the list and the database we are interested in testing. I have left the restore point as the default latest point. Then I enter the dev server name and a new database name on that server. I have also tried creating the database on the target first but both have the same result.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Michael, please go on with opening a case, logs are required to investigate the reason of the error message. If you're on v8, then you might be provided with a hotfix, since similar issue had been reported before.
ianikigorevich
Veeam Software
Liked: 1 time

Post by ianikigorevich »

Michael, if your version is 8.0 Update 3, I think it is a known issue and we have private fix for it. Support can give it to you, open a case and provide it's number here, please.

Thanks