Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
no-reply
Novice
Liked: never

Feature Request - HomeGroup/PKU2U support for backup share

Post by no-reply »

Is there any plans to add HomeGroup network share support as backup target? Currently it doesn't work because lack of permissions.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request - HomeGroup/PKU2U support for backup sha

Post by Dima P. »

Hi no-reply,
Can you elaborate? I believe, even for HomeGroup network share you can add local admin access permissions
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Post by readie »

Just trying to get this to work too. Setup Homegroup for both my Win10 PCs, and shared a HD from each giving 'everyone' full permissions. Using Windows I can create folders and copy files to the HD on either PC from the other.
Trying to setup VEB, if I select 'Local Destination' and browse to the network and find the shared HD and folder \\STUDY-PC\Study G Drive Backup\VeeamBackup, when I click on NEXT I get 'Specify Target Folder'.
If I select 'Shared Folder', try BROWSE, then in the network 'Loading Devices' box I eventually get 'Last Error: The network location cannot be reached. etc . . . '
I've even tried mapping a drive to the shared folder, but that doesn't work either.
Is it anything to do with the fact that a prerequisite of Windows 10 HomeGroup is IP6 which I had to enable on both machines?
Or is there some magic tweak I still haven't done?
Perhaps I should scrap homegroup (though it is an easy way to share printers between PCs) and just use the 'old' share feature.
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Bob,

Have you set the permission account in the control below the shared folder path? Does this account have access to the said folder?
readie
Expert

Post by readie »

Ah - I hadn't (and am not sure how to tackle that in a non-Domain home system - is it \\<PCname>\<username>. I have anyway given FULL ACCESS to everyone.
Should this be needed BEFORE trying to browse, or once I have browsed and found the share? Choosing Shared Folder I cannot even browse the network, though I can from a Windows Explorer window.
Bob Eadie
Veeam user since 2009.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

‘Browse’ might be tricky since we rely on windows native components. If you enter the creds, it should use the specified permissions but if you don’t - it will try to leverage the logged in user’s permissions/ local system permissions and so no. As a result, you may not see the needed shared folder properly.
readie
Expert

Post by readie »

But the windows native components do work. I can browse the network fine using windows explorer. Actually, I haven't checked the event log - and are there any Veeam logs which might give a hint (where?)?
OK I'll persevere and see if I can crack it (though with 'everyone' full permissions it should be a breeze). The logged in user certainly has full access as I've created folders and files there.
You think I should stick with 'Shared Folder' and try to get that working. I hoped that a mapped drive would count as 'local drive' . . .
Bob Eadie
Veeam user since 2009.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

It won’t see the mapped drive as an internal drive if you select the local disk destination, however, if you map the shared folder location as a folder under the existing internal volume – that’s might do the trick. I’d go for shared folder destination if you ask me.
readie
Expert

Post by readie »

Ah! Sorry it might all be a fault here. I have been trying from the 'remote' machine to 'master' as that is the way I want to backup, but just now have tried the other way round and it seems to work perfectly - browsing the network shows me what I would expect!!
So at the moment, please put it down to a fault here, and sorry for troubling you.
Once I have sorted it, I will post here to keep you (and others) up to date.
Bob Eadie
Veeam user since 2009.
readie
Expert

Post by readie » 2 people like this post

A bit more info for anyone else who wants to try to get this working (which I have at long last!).
1. Although I had shared folder on both machines (I was trying to do this both ways, between two Win10 clients with HomeGroup) to 'everyone' 'full access', it seems as though HomeGroup has its own way of doing things!
2. Using VEB one machine COULD browse the network to see the other, but not the other way round (OK that might be down to something wrong on my PCs).
3. On the one which couldn't browse, I typed in the path to the other folder \\PCname\folderpath\ AND also said that it needed credentials (even though everyone had permissions!)
4. In order to give credentials, I had to create a user which was recognised by the other machine.
5. Homegroup, or this aspect of it, doesn't like blank passwords! Since we are all the same family, almost everything within the house is NOT password protected, but this user had to have a password.
6. Everything then seemed to start to work, but failed. Application log revealed CAPI event 513 which is a strange, but known, problem with incorrect permissions on a particular MS folder, and is also something to do with VSS which I guess VEB uses . . . I Googled and found a script and ran it (crossing my fingers!) which sorted that out.

So it's all working now . . . . and I suppose was worth the effort (as I enjoy problem solving, and don't like to be beaten by a mere machine, or Microsoft!).
Good luck if you want to try the same.
Bob Eadie
Veeam user since 2009.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I am glad to hear you were able to set all things right and additional thanks for the perfect write up! I am sure it will help all newcomers to setup backup to the shared folder properly.