Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Dario.Palmisano
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dario Palmisano

V9: cannot replicate VM running veeam...

Post by Dario.Palmisano »

Hello Everybody,

couples of days ago I upgraded to V9, most of the jobs worked fine after that, excluding the replication job of VM running veeam.

Before, with version 8 it worked fine (my virtualization hosts run ESXi 4.1.0 build-800380). Now it fails with diagnostic like:

1/21/2016 8:41:48 PM :: Processing veeam Error: Timed out waiting for guest interaction proxy

I have already opened the case with support (Case # 01673226), but no solution yet.

Does anyone else had similar problem?

Thanks and regards

Dario
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: V9: cannot replicate VM running veeam...

Post by veremin »

Hi, Dario,

Could you tell us what server is specified as a guest interaction proxy (Job settings -> guest processing -> Guest Interaction Proxy) and whether this server is available at the time of backup?

Thanks.
Dario.Palmisano
Enthusiast

Hello,

thanks for your answer.

I do not understand how to get the information you ask (editing the replication job i see "Job Settings", but no Proxy there, If I access Guest Processing I cannot see any Proxy there too).

Anyway my set up is very simple I have only a proxy that is the same veeam server.

Thanks!
widmerkarl
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Karl Widmer

Post by widmerkarl »

Hi Dario

The replication job has indeed no guest interaction proxy functionality. This feature is only available with backup jobs, as far i can see it on my customers infrastructure. I also upgraded to v9 a few days ago, and until now without any problems.

http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/hype ... proxy.html

I thin the best way to investigate this issue is opening a support case at Veeam and provide them with the log files, so the technicians can analyze them.
Best regards,
Karl

-----------------------
vExpert 2017-2024
VMware VCP-DCV 2023 / VCA6-DCV / VCA5-DCV / VCA5-Cloud
Former Veeam Vanguard / VMCE v9 / VMTSP v9 / VMSP v9
Personal blog: https://www.driftar.ch
Twitter: @widmerkarl
Dario.Palmisano
Enthusiast

Hello Karl,

thanks for your contribution, I already opened the case but was trying to speedup the solution.

Just a question, in your environment do you replicate the veeam vm? Does it work?

Thanks again, regards

Dario
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

widmerkarl
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Karl Widmer

Post by widmerkarl »

Hello Dario,

No problem, i try to help as best as i can. It's always a good idea to look at the forums, perhaps you are not alone with your problems, and so some possible ways to solve a problems might be available.

I'm doing normal backup to disk jobs, these data go to a different building on the same site with a backup copy job (Gigabit LAN link to a NAS). Once in a night i'm doing a replication to another site of this customer. I'm using the WAN accellerator functionality since these two sites are connected with a 50 MBit synchronous leased line. Ah yeah, don't forget the Veeam integrated storage snapshot, which i'm doing hourly to lower the RTPO to one hour ;)

The replication works very well, if you don't change the size of a virtual disk. If you do so, at least in the infrastructure of my customer, the replication job takes a lot more time, since he does a new calculation of the digests and fingerprints of the resized VMDK from scratch. And with a VMDK size from around 1.5 TB (Exchange Mailserver, multiple databases) this takes a good amount of time...

But as i said, the replication usually goes very well, and since the customer upgraded the intersite link to 50 MBit we are able to replicate most of the VMs over night, before the people are working in the other site.

@foggy:
Yes, my bad. I just checked an existing replication job for my reply, there is no guest processing option. Then i re-checked that with creating a new replication job, and there i've got the guest processing option.

Best regards,
Karl

-----------------------
vExpert 2017-2024
VMware VCP-DCV 2023 / VCA6-DCV / VCA5-DCV / VCA5-Cloud
Former Veeam Vanguard / VMCE v9 / VMTSP v9 / VMSP v9
Personal blog: https://www.driftar.ch
Twitter: @widmerkarl
Dario.Palmisano
Enthusiast

Thanks everybody,

at the end I solved recreating the replication job and now it works (it just completed one run).

Possibly the problem it is caused by the fact the job inherited from version 8 had veeam VM as target, instead same kind of replication jobs having other VMs worked immediately after upgrade to V9.

Anyway I am happy I solved, thanks to everybody!

Regards

Dario
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Glad you've managed to resolve this. We will try to reproduce this behavior internally nevertheless, since it looks like a potential issue to me.