Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
willrodbard
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Will Rodbard

Different backup speed for different VMs

Post by willrodbard »

Hi,
I am currently trying to investigate the reason why some of my VMs will backup with an effective rate of 250Mb/s and other only ever peak at about 8-10Mb/s
Came across this post and thought it might apply to me, then I remembered that my VEEAM box is a Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 64bit server.
Now I know this could be related to the underlying storage, I am investigating vm/LUN placement at the mo as well, however if anyone could shed some light or offer any recommendations I would be grateful
Cheers
Will
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Different backup speed for different VMs

Post by Gostev »

Do you use thick or thin disks on your VMs?
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Post by Bunce »

willrodbard wrote:Hi,
I am currently trying to investigate the reason why some of my VMs will backup with an effective rate of 250Mb/s and other only ever peak at about 8-10Mb/s
Will
Maybe because the current statistics offered by Veeam don't really reflect what's happening. AFAIK, the stats take into account the total size of the disks / time taken. Therefore it disregards CBT, Zero'd sectors, compression, etc.

So you may have a VM that is very active during the day, and therefore a greater change rate than another VM. Both may actually be backing-up at the same 'rate', however the current stats would indicate that the less-active VM is backing up faster..

I'm hoping there are improved job statistics in V5 which will help greatly in analysing & determining bandwidth requirements - particularly for replication over WAN links..
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Post by TrevorBell »

Gostev wrote:Do you use thick or thin disks on your VMs?

Anton,
Does this have a bearing on the speed of backup ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Sure, this would affect performance rate counter (see response from Bunce's above - covers it well).
I will split this into the new topic, as this discussion is not connected with the topic this was first posted in.