Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ame
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexander Oestringer

GFS tape job not running

Post by ame »

Hi,

I have got some regular disk backups running on week days. Retention 5. On saturday I am running an active full. The GFS tape job is monitoring the whole backup repository. On sunday the GFS tape job should copy the active full backups from saturday to tape. But it does it only for a different backups which ran on saturday.

The GFS tape job showed the schedule starting on 01/24/2016 00:00am, so all active full backups shouldn´t be older than 24 hours.

So my question is - from what point of time will the 24 hours be counted? From the beginning of the last full or from the end time?
If the 24 hours window will be missed every weekend, the weekly GFS tape job would never write a weekly full on tape. Why does it not use the last available full to save it on tape?

Thanks and regards
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: GFS tape job not running

Post by veremin »

On sunday the GFS tape job should copy the active full backups from saturday to tape. But it does it only for a different backups which ran on saturday.
Not sure whether I follow you on that. While executed on Sunday, does a tape job create a GFS restore point you need or it does not? Some clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.
ame
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexander Oestringer

Post by ame »

Sorry my fault - I read it wrong in the user guide:

Veeam 9 user guide: On the scheduled day, the GFS job tries to copy a full backup that is produced by the source job. The job starts at 00:00 at the scheduled day and waits for the source job to create a full backup. If no full backup appears in 24 hours, the GFS job synthesizes a virtual full backup from the most recent restore point available.

The GFS job waits 24 hours for a new full backup - I thought, it looks for full backup jobs not older than 24 hours....

Thanks and regards
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I thought, it looks for full backup jobs not older than 24 hours
Nope, it should wait 24 hours prior to doing that.

Anyway, glad to hear that the confusion has been clarified.

Thanks.