Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Ray.Smith
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ray Smith

Backup Copy Restore Points

Post by Ray.Smith »

I have several Hyper-V VM servers that I wish to keep restore points for 1 week, 1 month and 1 year. I do not understand the restore points to keep. Is it a multiple of the 3 restore points per server?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backup Copy Restore Points

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please take a look at GFS backup copy option - it will allow you to keep weekly, monthly and yearly restore points. In case some restore point is to be created on the same date then only one restore point will be created. I.e. if sunday-weekly backup happens on the last day of the month (monthly backup) then the resulting restore point will hold the role of both weekly and monthly backup. Also what's your VBR version?

Thank you.
Ray.Smith
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ray Smith

Post by Ray.Smith »

Thanks for the reply PTide.

I am using version 8.0.0.2084. So if I am backing up each server hourly for 24 restore points, how often should I have the backup copy run to retrieve the weekly copy? I guess I'm just not grasping this very well.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If you need just weekly restore points at a secondary location, you can have weekly sync interval for the backup copy job.
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: Marc K

Post by mkaec » 1 person likes this post

PTide wrote:...In case some restore point is to be created on the same date then only one restore point will be created. I.e. if sunday-weekly backup happens on the last day of the month (monthly backup) then the resulting restore point will hold the role of both weekly and monthly backup...
I love this. Operation like this shows that good thought went into the design of the feature.