Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Backup a machine with iSCSI

Post by trackstar »

Hello,

We are looking to put a Windows 2012 machine onto production. The machine will have an iSCSI storage from Amazon (AWS cloud storage). It will be at least 20TB.

Is there a way I can just backup the base OS and not my E drive (iSCSI storage).

Thanks,
TT
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup a machine with iSCSI

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Disks connected via in-guest ISCSI initiator cannot be snapshotted and are automatically skipped from processing. Thanks.
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Post by trackstar »

Thanks,
TT
tekno
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Peter Vilagi

[MERGED] Backup of disk connected via iscsi initiator

Post by tekno »

Hello
till now, what i read on the forums, is not possible to backup an disk within VM connected to via iscsi initiator.
In some particular scenario, i need to create an software raid 0 dynamic disk (via symantec veritas storage foundation) to extend volume between two different storage boxes from different vendors (if it works.. will see :-) ).

Anyway is there a possibility to backup the iscsi disks or dynamic disks created by 3rd party tool (eg VSF) by endpoint free backup as backup of a volume ?
Are there any changes in B&R v9 to this (as far i have read the details, its not as due the nature it is understandable).
host virtualization will be probably hyper-v

thnx
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

There were no changes regarding this in v9, such disks still cannot be backed up.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Anyway is there a possibility to backup the iscsi disks or dynamic disks created by 3rd party tool (eg VSF) by endpoint free backup as backup of a volume ?
Yes you can backup iSCSI LUN with Veeam Endpoint. Also as a workaround I can suggest mounting the ISCSI to the Hypervisor and then create a VHDX on that ISCSI LUN instead of connecting to iSCSI LUN within OS initiator.

Thank you.
tekno
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Peter Vilagi

Post by tekno »

PTide wrote:Yes you can backup iSCSI LUN with Veeam Endpoint. Also as a workaround I can suggest mounting the ISCSI to the Hypervisor and then create a VHDX on that ISCSI LUN instead of connecting to iSCSI LUN within OS initiator.
Hello
thats something i actually cant do as old lun contains bunch of data's, for me it would be aswell better to use vhdx, but this options is currently not possible.
but good to now, that i can backup with endpoint, thats good news! thnx