Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cjbifchor
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Christopher Bailey

Copy Job – Retaining Yearly Backups

Post by cjbifchor »

I’m currently running a Backup Copy job against a Backup job to maintain the following:

Backup Job:
Restore Points (56) (2x a day) = 28 days retention
Backup Copy Job (secondary destination):
Restore Points (14)
GFS Retention Policy:
Weekly: 0
Monthly: 12
Quarterly: 0
Yearly: 0
I would like to change the yearly to (10) for the last day of the year. Saying that, I would like to capture the previous 31.12.2015 back up as the first yearly backup. December 31st 2015 is still available as a restore point, if I enable the yearly GFS option will it retain that specific date? Or will it just capture the 31.12.2016 when it arrives?
Failing that, how do I retain the 31st as part of the archives after the fact?
Also, second question, Does the non-GFS Restore Points indicated (14) have any influence on the GFS restore points? Example if I set the restore to only 2 will the GMS still retain the 12 monthly and the newly added (10) yearly restore points?

Regards,
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Copy Job – Retaining Yearly Backups

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Christopher and welcome to the community!
1. If you add yearly backups to the settings, the first yearly restore point will be 31.12.2016
You can copy the needed backup manually to preserve it for 10 years.
2. No, there is no influence from simple to GFS points, you can decrease it to 2 and GFS backups will not be affected.
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

cjbifchor wrote:I would like to change the yearly to (10) for the last day of the year. Saying that, I would like to capture the previous 31.12.2015 back up as the first yearly backup. December 31st 2015 is still available as a restore point, if I enable the yearly GFS option will it retain that specific date? Or will it just capture the 31.12.2016 when it arrives?
GFS restore points are created when the full backup in the regular backup copy job chain reaches the specified day. What kind of restore point the one of December 31st 2015 is? If it is a monthly GFS full and the regular chain full has already passed this day (should be so, judging on your settings), then this point will not be marked as a yearly one.
cjbifchor
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Christopher Bailey

Post by cjbifchor »

Thanks to both Nikita and Alexander.
Alexander..Although I had set the monthly for the last day of the month (Dec 31st 2015) The file in the repository is incremental for that date..This seems strange or do I need to wait till the retention policy from the original retention policy gets to that date as the oldest and merges the incremental(s) into a full with that date 31.12.2015 being the final result?
Also I run a synthetic Full on saturdays yet I have only 1 full from the 7th of December 2015. No other full backup files are in this chain..hmmm
Thoughts?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

According to the provided configuration, the monthly GFS backup(31.12.15) will be created soon or to say correctly as foggy mentioned, full backup of the simple backup chain will be marked as monthly.
If you don`t want to wait, you can simply decrease the number of restore points in the simple chain, it will not harm GFS backups.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

What is the backup copy job 'copy every' interval? Basically, yes, when the full backup reaches that day and is merged with the corresponding increment, it will be marked as GFS (if that day is selected in the GFS schedule).
cjbifchor wrote:Also I run a synthetic Full on saturdays yet I have only 1 full from the 7th of December 2015. No other full backup files are in this chain..hmmm
Do you mean the original backup job here, not the backup copy one? Then check whether the job actually starts on Saturdays.