Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
NickViz1
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Nikolai Vorontsov

Feature request - standalone offline recovery app

Post by NickViz1 »

Hello,

in some situations during the recovery I'm not able to use the official VEB Recovery ISO media. For instance ServerLoft provides its own Recovery mode (based on Windows 8 PE image actually), where I'm not able to install the VEB itself to be able to recover the backup to the disk. And unfortunately I can't run the VEB Recovery ISO as well.

It would be very nice if a standalone (portable) recovery application exist together with the official Recovery Media. That application should be able to run on Windows (7+ I guess), Windows PE (7+) and/or linux (not sure what version/distro exactly), it can assume that the target disk is not system/bootable (so it's fully available for the recovery purposes).

Please consider such an app. It might be even an open source (at least me would contribute in this case :-)

Thanks in advance,
Nikolai
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature request - standalone offline recovery app

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome Nikolai,

You may want to look at this workaround of building the custom image. May I ask why its not possible to create and keep additional recovery media? Thanks
NickViz1
Enthusiast

Post by NickViz1 » 1 person likes this post

Hello Dima,

well, that's the policy of the hoster. They provide a Preinstallation Environment recovery system, booted over the network and then you are free to recover your system youself. Actually it's enough to do so - using DISM and some hand magic. The problem here is that all backup is done manually, as you can't do that online (that's why I wanted to use VEB). But, with VEB I'm not able to restore the image in case of failure.

Theoretically I can imagine idea to restore the VEB backup on a local machine with the official Recovery media, and then make a WIM file from it and then transfer it to the server, then load their Recovery system and deploy at the end this WIM. But you see how complex and time consuming this task becomes.

So, a separate restore executable or .VBK/.VIB to .WIm converter would be nice feature. However I fully understand that it has a very low priority for you.

Anyway thank you (Veeam I mean ;-) for a nice free tool that I can use at home. At least now I have a decent and legal backup.

Nikolai
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Nikolai,

You can always use a file or volume level recovery instead and native tools for system recovery.
NickViz1
Enthusiast

Post by NickViz1 »

Hello Dima,
Dima P. wrote:You can always use a file or volume level recovery instead and native tools for system recovery.
What do yo mean? Features from VEB? As I told - I'm not able to install VEB there. What I have after a boot is a Win PE and VEB backup database (.VBK/.VIB) files.

Nikolai
wsususer
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jürgen Möbius

Post by wsususer »

We wish for a long time such a solution --> standalone recovery app

Veeam Logoby wsususer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:07 pm
The solution Veeam Backup endpoint would be perfect for me if I'm in an emergency get without the program VEB to the backup content.
I think of a vbk-browser or vbk extractor for backup files *.vbk and *.vib
It is important to get the Backup-Data in case of need even without the main program.

Re: New feature idea for VEB

Veeam Logoby nvetrano » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:36 pm
Just to agree that a stand-alone backup file browser would be amazing. Ability to pull files from backups without an installed client would be very useful. ....