Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
smithjamesp55
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: James Smith

Backup Fail after Test restores

Post by smithjamesp55 »

Hi -
I'm testing Veeam B&R and encountered an unexpected backup failure just now. Any ideas what might be going on?

Here's the setup:
I have connected the vcenter so it sees all our hosts. I have a backup job that is running every 5 hours using Reverse Incremental method. After building up 5 or 6 restore points, I deleted a VM (from disk) completely and restored once using the "Restore entire VM" and once using "Instant Recovery". When the next backup job started, it failed almost immediately with this error:

"veeam job fail Validating task Can't process object .Object not found." (I removed the name of the servers)

Since I'm connected to the vcenter, why would this subsequent backup fail? What do I need to do to correct it and how should I configure it so backups after a restore work in the future?

Thanks!

James
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backup Fail after Test restores

Post by Gostev »

Hi James, deleting VM takes away its unique ID, so the job will no longer be able to find the VM. What you are doing not correct (or, rather, against best practices) is populating your jobs with individual VMs. Recommended way is to use container objects, which provide dynamic selection scope. This will let you avoid such situations in future. Thanks.
smithjamesp55
Influencer
Full Name: James Smith

Post by smithjamesp55 »

Thanks for the quick response. I do have several VMs in one backup job, is that what you mean by using container objects? Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

James, I believe Anton is talking about vApps, resource pools and VM folders. Moreover, note that with Backup v5 you can additionally configure your job using source datastores as dynamic selection containers. All these approaches will give you more flexibility, and will let you avoid babysitting your backup jobs as your environment changes.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, also hosts, clusters, datacenters and regular folders.
Omar.sanchez
Lurker
Full Name: Omar Sánchez Juárez

Post by Omar.sanchez »

Hello everyone!

I have the same issue, with one of my customers. After restoring a VM, the backup job failed with the next Error: "Task failed Error: The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created", What I need to do in order to fix it without deleting the back job?

Best regards!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You need re-add this VM to the backup job or configure your backup job to use VM containers instead. In this case all new VMs added to this container will be automatically picked up by a backup job.
comapny1980
Novice
Full Name: Furqan Ahmed

[MERGED]: recovered VM incremental issue

Post by comapny1980 »

Dear All,

I have installed the Veeam backup and replication in our Vcenter environment, we have configured the backup job for our one vm for testing purpose. the backup job run fine and we have successfully create the 7 restore point of the vm. to test the recovery of vm we have successfully recovered the vm to the desired point. the problem is that the backup job of this virtual machine is created before we recovered the vm to desired point. After when we recovered the vm to the desired point the backup job is getting the following error for the recovered vm.
error:

Code: Select all

5/23/2016 12:21:45 PM :: Task failed Error: The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created 
5/23/2016 12:21:45 PM :: Network traffic verification detected no corrupted blocks 
5/23/2016 12:21:45 PM :: Processing finished with errors at 5/23/2016 12:21:45 PM 
f.y.i we have recovered the entire vm for testing purpose.

Regards

Furqan Ahmed
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please find see the explanation of that behaviour and the resolution above.

Thanks
comapny1980
Novice

Post by comapny1980 »

Hi,
Thanx for the rply, if we adds the recovered vm to the new backup job so what about the backup which was created earlier by veeam and whether these backup still exist on scale out backup repository or deleted automatically when the policy retention setting is exceeded.

regards

Furqan Ahmed
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Remove previous VM from a backup job, add a new one instead and map a job to the already existing backup data. This way, the old backups containing previous VM will be deleted as soon as retention period expires. Thanks.
comapny1980
Novice

Post by comapny1980 »

hi,
Thanx for the reply, how to map a job to the already existing backup data.

regards

Furqan Ahmed
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Please check this KB

Thanks
comapny1980
Novice